  • Autumn Mitchell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2007
      I have to say that I strongly agree with what has already been said, but I just wanted to add a few notes from personal experience.

      My mother is a writer and has had similar questions. One of the best resources that she has found has been her family doctor, and nurses and doctors at a local hospital. I recommend calling in advance, but this is a great place to find really accurate information on this subject.
      Also, I have been hospitalized for severe auto related injuries. I can't express strongly enough to remember what has already been said about how meds are administered in a situation like this. If the pills are given orally, a nurse will most certainly watch the patient take them. Also, many of the meds previously mentioned...Oxycodone, Vicodin, etc. are rarely given in capsule form. This means that "cheeking" or taking the pills apart for a highly concentrated dose is highly unlikely while in the hospital.
      I would also recommend choosing a particular medication before researching how much would be required for an overdose...this is too broad of a question to answer just working with the idea of "pain killers" or "narcotics". Some will take a much higher dose than others for death to occur, many would make the person violently ill and induce vomiting before death unless taken in a concentrated form i.e. crushing the pills into a powder and putting them in liquid. They would hit the blood stream much faster this way.

      Best of luck with your novel.

      Autumn Mitchell
      Criminology Student
      Emphasis in profiling and criminal behavior/psychology