translation "cousinage" and "reflection"

  • verbi@skynet.be
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2000
      Dear everyone,

      I work for the museum of contempary art in Ghent, Belgium. Recently
      we have invited the American artist Maria Nordman for a project in
      our museum.
      The artist has declared that she wishes to create a work of art with
      two words, translated in various languages of the world (what she
      calls a "word-sculpture"). In total the artists is looking for the
      translation in 87 languages.

      These two words are "cousinage" (a term refering to the state of being
      cousins)
      and
      "reflection" (i.e. from a mirror).

      We still need lots of translations!

      I would therefore feel obliged if anyone is willing and capable to
      translate these words into whatever language he or she
      knows (except Western European).

      If special characters for some languages are used, this may cause
      problems. The best way to solve these is
      -use a file attachment Word2000 (unicode)
      -use a gif or pdf format
      -or whatever solution you can think of.

      Sincerely yours,

      Dirk Verbiest
      verbi@...
    • Thomas Alexander
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2000
        How to say "cousinage" in English and Esperanto (English at the end):

        > In Esperanto, those translate as "kuzeco" and "reflekto", respectively
        > -- I'm not sure if Esperanto counts as Western European or not :).

        Actually, before I saw your note, I was going to say that "cousinage"
        would be "gekuzeco" because it's the quality of being "gekuzoj."

        > Sadly, I don't know the words in any "real" languages other than
        > English.

        Hey, let's not start the debate over whether Esperanto is a "real"
        language. BTW, I didn't even know the word cousinage in English -
        my native language.

        Actually, checking my ENGLISH dictionary... I don't find cousinage.
        I did find cousinhood and cousinship.

        Amike salutas,

        Thomas