Re: New English speaker needs advice from Spanish speakers

  • becky_reder
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2009
      --- In foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com, "lisa_forshee"
      <lisa_forshee@...> wrote:
      >Ustedes is simply the plural form of usted. Usted is 3rd person
      singular and ustedes is 3rd person plural.
      When conjugating verbs, you really only need to us the personal
      pronoun when you need to differentiate between male/female subject.
      Como= I eat; comes=you eat; ella come=she eats, etc.
      Becky

      > Hi, I joined this group because I am very interested in learning to
      > speack Spanish fluently. However, I am taking my first Spanish
      > course in college and my professor doesn't seem to explain things
      in
      > a way I can understand. So here are my problem areas; I hope
      someone
      > can help.
      >
      > First, I do not understand the difference between usted and
      ustedes.
      > Can someone please explain this to me?
      >
      > Second, when conjugating verbs, do I use pronouns?
      >
      > English example: I eat in the cafeteria.
      > In Spanish, would this be "Yo como en la cafeteria?" or "Como en
      la
      > cafteria?"
      >
      > English example: We eat in the cafeteria.
      > In Spanish would this be, "Nosostros comemos en la cafteria?"
      > or "Comemos en la cafeteria?"
      >
      > English example: "He eats in the cafeteria."
      > In Spanish, would this be, "El come en la cafeteria?" or "Ellos
      > come(s) en la cafeteria?"
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Lisa

    • artiman2002
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2009
        Hello Lisa,
        Let's see if the way that I explain it helps you. First, Usted is the
        second person singular, as is tu, but Usted is used when speaking in
        a formal way. Some languages have this formal way to address
        estrangers, elders, or superiors. I know Italian is one of those
        examples. So, I use tu when talking to close friends, and with my
        boss I use Usted. Ustedes is the second person in plural and it is
        used in all cases. That is, there are no formal and informal
        versions. It seem complicated to English speakers because we do not
        have formal version of talking and we use you for second person
        singular and plural.
        The second part - do we use the pronouns when conjugating verbs- is
        more a question of usage of the language. All languages have these
        usages that distinguish foreign from native speakers. Take a look at
        these examples.
        ¿Juan, tu comes en la cafeteria? No, a mi me gusta el sol, asi que
        como en el patio.
        ¿Y ustedes muchachos, donde comen?
        Ellos tres comen en la cafeteria, ella come mientras que va a su
        proxima clase, y yo como con Juan en el patio.
        In the first example, if you add yo, it would sound awkward but it is
        not incorrect grammar. Somebody listening to that response would
        wander why the emphasis on yo. Like in English, yes, I did take the
        trash out. That emphasis sounds like somebody is questioning your
        word.
        In the second example the absence of pronouns would sound more than
        awkward, incorrect, because all these people require clarity to
        follow who eats where.
        I hope it helps. Whenever you feel that Spanish has too many rules,
        think that English has fewer rules but more usage of the language
        nuances and idioms than Spanish.
        Good luck. Buena suerte,
        Arturo
      • Teresa
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
          Hi, I've been studying Spanish for the past 4 years, and though I'm by
          no means an expert I think I can be of some assistance:

          First usted and ustedes
          You use usted when you're formally addressing one person and ustedes
          when it's several people.

          Pronouns aren't usually used in spanish, unless there is some
          confusion regarding what you mean
          for example since "Come pollo" could mean both "he's eating chicken"
          and "she's eating chicken" I would add either ella or el.

          It would be redundant to say "Yo como" because there is no confusion
          there, but of course you wouldn't be saying anything wrong per se...

          "He's eating in the cafeteria." would translated be "El come en la
          cafeteria".
          If you instead said "Ellos comen en la cafeteria" it would mean "they
          are eating in the cafeteria"

          I hope that helps and makes sense otherwise just ask again....
          Tess
        • Teresa
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
            Hi Lisa,
            I have been studying Spanish for 4 years now and though I am by no
            means an expert I can answer your questions:

            For starters usted and ustedes, it's quite simple actually: ustedes is
            the plural form of usted, so if your addressing several people in a
            formal way you would use ustedes

            And when conjugating verbs pronouns are usually only used when you
            have to clarify what you mean
            For example "Come en la cafeteria" could mean both "he's eating in the
            cafeteria" and "she's eating in the cafeteria". in such situation you
            would have to add either ella or el to explain what you mean.

            I hope that helps and would happily help again if I can
            Teresa
          • Miguel Campos
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2009
              Hi Lisa,

              First of all, usted is singular (one person) and ustedes is plural (two or more persons).

              Second, either form is correct.  Whether you want to put Nosotros comemos en la cafetería, or Comemos en la cafetería.

              However, if you don't put the "Nosotros", there seems to make the sentence more "general".  In other words, Nosotros comemos en la cafeteria implies that "WE" (a group that you have designated as the subject" eat in the cafeteria.  Comemos en la cafeteria implies "we eat in the cafeteria" which is very general and would imply that "persons" (not a set group of persons in your immediate group) eat in the cafeteria.  If you are speaking in context of a group of persons, it is can them be implied that you are talking about them.  If you make the sentence alone without any implications provided by other sentences, it then seems to be more "general".

              The implication is that Nosotros (including yourself and your friends or immediate group) eat in the cafeteria.  I hope this is clear.

              By the way, I am a Mexican that has grown up in the USA since the age of 6 and have spoken both English and Spanish my entire life.  I am now 54 years old.  I hope I didn't confuse you.

              Miguel

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2009
                Usted is singular and means "you".
                Ustedes is pluaral and means "you".

                This is only confusing because in English you can mean one person or more than one person.

                In Spanish the pronouns are often unnecessary. Since "Como" means I eat the pronoun "yo" is not necessary.
                But "yo como" and "como" mean the same thing. Same with Nosotros.
                However "come" is not as easily translated, it can mean "he eats or she eats" (and sometimes you eat, if speaking formally). "El come" however can only be translated as "he eats" "Ellos" on the other hand means "they" and therefore, "Ellos comen" means "they eat". "Ustedes comen" means "you (or you all) eat".

                I hope this explanation answers your questions.
              • Miguel Campos
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2009

                  como also means "how" when a question so sometimes you might want to say Yo como for "I eat". It can also mean "as", such as:

                  Como yo como, translates to:  As I eat.

                  It can get complex.