Polish

  • Leo Corman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
      Hi everyone!

      The other day a group of Polish people came to where I
      work and stayed there for a while. Most of them
      didn't speak English but I managed to help them.

      I payed attention while they were speaking the
      language and I really enjoyed the way it sounds, very
      interesting and they were very nice people too.

      Does anyone in this list know a good book to learn
      Polish? I know about Teach Yourself Polish but i will
      also like to buy another good book with tapes and
      books.

      Thanks in advance for all your help.

      Neo

      =====
      Det vi utretter i livet gir gjenklang i evigheten.

      Det vi gör i livet ger eko ända in i evigheten.

      http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
      - Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!
    • qpwoeiru134679 .
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
        to leo...

        oops! you're right. mandarin is the most spoken; spanish is 2nd. then
        comes english etc....

        speaking of english... can australians and new zealanders distunguish
        canadians and americans by listening to us talk? most of the time i can't
        tell a new zealander from an australian. actually, sometimes they/you some
        very similar to some of the london accents i've heard.

        i was told that the original british settlers (of australia) came from a
        certain area of london/britain... that's why they sound similar...

        pls. enlighten me leo!

        thanks!

        tony

        >From: Leo Corman <leocorman@...>
        >To: foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [foreignlanguage] Polish
        >Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:18:03 +1000 (EST)
        >
        >Dear Tony,
        >
        >You wrote:
        >
        > > spanish is THE most spoken language in the world...
        >
        >As far as i know the top five are:
        >Mandarin Chinese 885.000.000 speakers
        >Spanish 332.000.000 speakers
        >English 322.000.000 speakers
        >Bengali 189.000.000 speakers
        >Hindi 182.000.000 speakers
        >
        > > with english you have
        > > europe, north america and
        > > india covered.
        >
        >What happened to us here in New Zealand and Australia?
        > We speak English too.
        >
        >By the way, to the person who wrote that Turkish is a
        >Baltic language, well it ain't. Lithunian and Latvian
        >are Baltic Languages.
        >
        >Something else, i wrote about learning Polish before
        >but i got no answers. Can someone recommend me a good
        >book and tapes.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Zaijian Tony,
        >
        >Neo
        >
        >=====
        >Det vi utretter i livet gir gjenklang i evigheten.
        >
        >Det vi g�r i livet ger eko �nda in i evigheten.

      • qpwoeiru134679 .
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
          to leo...

          oops! you're right. mandarin is the most spoken; spanish is 2nd. then
          comes english etc....

          speaking of english... can australians and new zealanders distunguish
          canadians and americans by listening to us talk? most of the time i can't
          tell a new zealander from an australian. actually, sometimes they/you some
          very similar to some of the london accents i've heard.

          i was told that the original british settlers (of australia) came from a
          certain area of london/britain... that's why they sound similar...

          pls. enlighten me leo!

          thanks!

          tony

          >From: Leo Corman <leocorman@...>
          >To: foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [foreignlanguage] Polish
          >Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:18:03 +1000 (EST)
          >
          >Dear Tony,
          >
          >You wrote:
          >
          > > spanish is THE most spoken language in the world...
          >
          >As far as i know the top five are:
          >Mandarin Chinese 885.000.000 speakers
          >Spanish 332.000.000 speakers
          >English 322.000.000 speakers
          >Bengali 189.000.000 speakers
          >Hindi 182.000.000 speakers
          >
          > > with english you have
          > > europe, north america and
          > > india covered.
          >
          >What happened to us here in New Zealand and Australia?
          > We speak English too.
          >
          >By the way, to the person who wrote that Turkish is a
          >Baltic language, well it ain't. Lithunian and Latvian
          >are Baltic Languages.
          >
          >Something else, i wrote about learning Polish before
          >but i got no answers. Can someone recommend me a good
          >book and tapes.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Zaijian Tony,
          >
          >Neo
          >
          >=====
          >Det vi utretter i livet gir gjenklang i evigheten.
          >
          >Det vi g�r i livet ger eko �nda in i evigheten.

        • Jean Diedrick
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
            .

            > Something else, i wrote about learning Polish before
            > but i got no answers. Can someone recommend me a good
            > book and tapes.

            I'm studying Polish but I can't recommend any book with tapes.
            I just sort of bumble along with whatever I lay my hands on.

            Jean
          • Leo Corman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
              Dear Tony,

              You wrote:
              > speaking of english... can australians and new
              > zealanders distunguish
              > canadians and americans by listening to us talk?

              I would say no. Most Canadians and Americans sound
              alike to us. People who lived there can tell the
              difference but most of the time we can't.

              > most of the time i can't
              > tell a new zealander from an australian.

              We do speak different but i have to agree that some
              people sound almost the same. TV news might sound
              very similar but we can make the difference.

              > actually,
              > sometimes they/you some
              > very similar to some of the london accents i've
              > heard.

              I am not surprised. Lots of people in Ozzy or NZ have
              British blood. Some of my friends' parents are
              English and they do speak with an English accent even
              though their parents say that they have a Kiwi accent.

              > i was told that the original british settlers (of
              > australia) came from a
              > certain area of london/britain... that's why they
              > sound similar...

              I don't know where they come from.

              Hope this helps u a bit.

              Neo

              =====

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
                Turkish is an Altaic language. The Altaic family is
                divided into three groups which are: Mongolian, Tungus
                and Turkic.

                The Turkic group is divided again into other
                subgroups:
                Bolgar, Eastern, Northern, Southern, Western and Urum.

                The southern subgroup is divided again into:
                Azerbaijani, Turkish, Turmenian, Crimean Turkish and
                Salar.

                The Turkish division is formed by Balkan Gagauz
                Turkish spoken in Turkey, Gagauz spoken in Moldova,
                Khorasani Turkish spoken in Iran and Turkish spoken in
                Turkey.

                Leo

                =====

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
                  hi leo...

                  but can you distinguish southern texan/alabaman "cowboy talk" from "proper"
                  canadian/american english?

                  tony

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2001
                    Hello tony,

                    Someone from Texas is easy to pick up but Alabama, I
                    ain't sure, i've never heard one.

                    Neo

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 8, 2001

                      > 3. Anyone out there whom I could help in learning Polish (or in any other
                      > way) ?

                      I started learning Polish about 2 years ago. Right now current events are
                      keeping me from continuing. I had reached the point I where I usually
                      drop out: no longer very elementary, but not yet ready for the next level.
                      Why is it so hard to find good materials at a late beginner level?

                      Jean
                    • Eros
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 23, 2001
                        I would like to be helped by you.
                        I'm brasilian and I just started learning Polish.
                        It's my grandparents language and I would like to talk to my bapcia in
                        Polish while she still is between us.
                        I could help people interesten in Portuguese, Spanish, French or Esperanto
                        also!!!

                        Abraços!!!

                        > > 3. Anyone out there whom I could help in learning Polish (or in any
                        other
                        > > way) ?
                        > >

                        > I started learning Polish about 2 years ago. Right now current events are
                        > keeping me from continuing. I had reached the point I where I usually
                        > drop out: no longer very elementary, but not yet ready for the next level.
                        > Why is it so hard to find good materials at a late beginner level?
                        >
                        > Jean

                      • Jean Diedrick
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 28, 2001
                          It was great to see the Polish exchange here. I was studying a little
                          bit of Polish up until this past summer. Then with visitors and events
                          I haven't got back to it. Maybe this will get me motivated again.

                          Jean
                        • sidsayed
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Can anyone teach me Turkish ?