Introduction

  • Grietje Menger
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 26, 2000
      Hello all,

      I just signed on at ForeignLanguage ONElist, so best if I introduce myself
      straight away.

      My name is Grietje, I'm Dutch (at least when I'm abroad I am), in the
      Netherlands I am Frysk and in Fryslân I am a Stellingwerver. So quite a
      muddle at times. Besides Dutch and my native dialect (which I can't write) I
      speak Frysk, English, German, French and Norwegian. I understand all in
      Danish and Swedish (don't try to speak it though, start mixing grammar up
      that way). For the past couple of years I've been trying to master the Welsh
      language (Cymraeg), which has been the hardest thing ever....

      So, yes, if you would like a helping hand with Dutch, feel free (though I'm
      almost sure there are more dutch people on this list..... are there?). Any
      discussion about the aforementioned languages are welcomed from my part as
      well. Anyone learning Welsh here??

      Bye for now,

      Grietje
    • molenaar@poczta.onet.pl
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 26, 2000
        On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:51:33 +0200, you wrote:

        >So, yes, if you would like a helping hand with Dutch, feel free (though I'm
        >almost sure there are more dutch people on this list..... are there?). Any
        >discussion about the aforementioned languages are welcomed from my part as
        >well. Anyone learning Welsh here??

        Hallo Grietje,
        Ja hoor er zijn nog meer Nederlanders op de lijst. Yes, there are
        more Dutch people on the list. Like me. But I joined only two days
        ago, so I'm recent, just like you. I am Alma, living in Poland and
        studying Polish there. I also speak German, French and Spanish and I
        understand Italian. I have a basic knowledge of Latin. My aim is to
        work as a translator NL<>PL, combined with EN>PL.

        Alma
      • John Mayson
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2001
          Greetings! My name is John Mayson. I live in Austin, Texas, USA. I have =
          studied English, French, and Esperanto. I hope to learn many languages.

          Salutations! Mon nom est John Mayson. J'habite à Austin, le Texas, Etats-=
          Unis. J'ai étudié anglais, français, et l'espéranto.
          J'espère apprendre beaucoup de langages.

          Saluto. Mia nomo estas John Mayson. Mi loøas en Aýstino, Teksaso, Usono. =
          Mi estas studinta la anglan, la francan, kaj la esperantan lingvojn. Mi vo=
          las lerni multajn lingvojn.

          John
        • Rob Buckley
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 18, 2001
            Introduction Hi everyone,

            I am new to this list. I am a native speaker of English and interested in all other languages, both living and dead ones.

            I live in England and am a native speaker of English. I have also been learning Turkish for some time.

            In just over a month I am going to Brattislava in Slovakia and so would be very interested in hearing from anyone who can tell me anything about Slovak.
            --
            Rob,
            Rob.j.buckley@...
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2001
              Hi, I'm a new member as of today. I'm basically nuts about learning
              languages! Right now I'm concentrating mainly on Japanese (getting a
              Master's in Japanese), but I also speak Swedish fluently, and I've
              studied Russian for 3 years. I'd very much like to learn a TON of
              languages.... but for now, I'm primarily interested in Russian, German,
              Finnish, Icelandic, French... etc, etc. :) I'm looking forward to
              being a part of this cool list community!

              Linda
              Anchorage, Alaska (but currently in Honolulu, Hawai'i)
            • amgiad@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2001
                hej Linda, wälkommen!
                this reminds me:
                I asked a question in the Swedish lang group and so far, no one
                replied. maybe someone in this group can...
                "thanks for the replies. Just preparing a short talk on Middle Englih
                spelling... Old English had long consonants like Swedish, but Middle
                English gradually lost them. I wonder whether there was a time when
                all Germanic languages were like Swedish,

                i.e. always having short vowel + long consonant (not only in
                spelling, but also phonetically!)
                and always having a long vowel in front of a single C

                now, the question that's still bothering me is whether at this stage
                long CCs are phonemic... (this question is also important for the
                phonology of my native language (Basel german), actually...as I
                certainly pointed out before.)

                people often like to think of germanic languages as lacking phonemic
                CC length, but in any case that's not true for the original germanic
                tongue(s). "

                Oh yeah I'd also like to learn tons of languages... so many languages
                yet sol li'l time... dam! anyway, kiitti (thanks) for all answers.
                amgiad
              • Neo NZ
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Hi everyone!

                  I was wondering if any Pole in the list (Piotr) can tell me
                  the translation of:

                  I learn Polish on my own but I never have the chance to
                  pratice it.

                  There was a group of 20 people from Poland today at my work
                  and they really surprise I knew some Polish. Something
                  that made me laugh was that their voices sounded similar to
                  the ones of the CDs I have to learn Polish.

                  Cheers!

                  Neo w Novej Zelandii

                  =====
                  Folk säger inte alltid vad de tänker. De bara ser till att man inte får framgång i livet.

                  Förlåt mig! Själv säger jag vad jag tänker alldeles för ofta.

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
                  - Get organised for Christmas early this year!
                • Jerzy Matysiakiewicz
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Neo NZ wrote:

                    > Hi everyone!
                    >
                    > I was wondering if any Pole in the list (Piotr) can tell me
                    > the translation of:
                    >
                    > I learn Polish on my own but I never have the chance to
                    > pratice it.

                    Czesc

                    "Uczyl/em sie, polskiego sam, ale nigdy nie mial/em okazji mo'wic' tym
                    je,zykiem"

                    Jerzy
                  • Neo NZ
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 5, 2001
                      Czesc!

                      Thanks Jerzy and Piotr for your answers.

                      Here's another question.

                      A: Wiesz, mam pomysil/. Pójdziemy do filharmonii na
                      "Polski Requiem" Penderckiego.

                      B: Jak to, pójdziemy!? A on?

                      A: Pójdziemy z nim.

                      B: Nie wiem, czy on lubi muzike, powaz|na,.

                      They are talking about going to the concert and in the last
                      sentence they used CZY. As far as I know CZY is used for
                      yes/no questions but there is no question mark at the end
                      of the sentence.

                      Can I translate the sentence as: I DON'T KNOW IF HE LIKES
                      CLASSICAL MUSIC? Can CZY be translated as IF?

                      Dziekuje bardzo!

                      Neo w Novej Zelandii

                      PS. Piotr, the V instead of W is on purpose!

                      =====
                      Folk säger inte alltid vad de tänker. De bara ser till att man inte får framgång i livet.

                      Förlåt mig! Själv säger jag vad jag tänker alldeles för ofta.

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
                      - Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!
                    • Rachel <forsytesaga@hotmail.com>
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 5, 2003
                        My name is Rachel. I am a librarian in New York. I am interested in
                        learning Spanish.
                      • Lucas Bruniera
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 27, 2003
                                  Hi everybody!
                                  I've already posted some messages on this list, but now I'll introduce myself: My name is Lucas Bruniera, I'm 22 years old. I live in Varginha (Minas Gerais - Brasil) and work as an English teacher for beginners at a language school. It's been 3 years since I started teaching, and I love it. I'm far away from being an expert in English, since here where I live it's hard to find someone who can speak English really well. So, that makes it harder for me to improve my English. That's why I'm here. I consider myself pretty good in Portuguese (my mother language), so any questions are welcome.
                                  Right now I'm learning Spanish, and soon I'd like to learn Japanese and Italian.
                                  That's all! See ya!

                          []'s
                          Lucas Bruniera
                          lucas_bruniera@...
                          Varginha - MG - Brasil
                        • Marcelo Garrão
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 1, 2004
                            Hi,

                            I need to learn English (Australian English if possible) and I can help
                            who wants to learn Brazilian Portuguese.
                            I'm not a portuguese language teacher but a I am a Brazilian :)

                            Thanks very much,
                            Marcelo.
                          • Mariela Riva
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 29, 2005
                              Hello people, I just joined this group and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Mariela and I am from Argentina. My mother tongue is Spanish. I am an advanced student of Spanish and Literature at University, and hope to get my degree by this December or next March as late. I love languages. English is my second language and I learned it mostly on my own, though of course, I took my first steps with a private teacher whom I owe quite a lot to. I was willing to learn German for so many years, but could never find a tutor or a professor that wanted to help me. I just could learn some basic lessons of German grammar, but then the professor had to leave me because of lack of time and I was forced to stop learning. I did not lose hopes completely, but wonder if I will ever be able to really learn that language.
                              Now, I am also willing to learn French. I love communications, and this must be the reason why I love languages.
                              I would really appreciate if somebody wanted to help me with German or French language. I offer in exchange to tutor anybody who is interested in learning Spanish. Indeed I use to tutor foreigners on the Internet!
                              Many thanks, and am really putting here expectations and hopes, so hope to get replies!
                              Cheers,
                                  Mariela

                            • Mikal
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 10, 2005
                                Mariela,

                                My native language is English, I am from North Carolina.  Aber ich kann auch Deutsch, y , de vez en cuando, un poco español.   Estudié le francais mais je ne parle pas cette langue.    ¿Cómo seguimos con un intercambio?  Solo por email, o ¿es que hay otras formas para hacerlo?

                                Mikal

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 29, 2006
                                  Hello everyone,

                                  my name is David and I live in England. I've been fascinated with
                                  foreign languages for decades and have decided it's time I actually got
                                  off my butt to learn a little.

                                  The languages I particularly like are Dutch, Portugues and Norwegian
                                  but I also like French and Italian. I'm not going to become fluent in
                                  all of them of course but maybe I can learn enough before I get too old
                                  to hold conversations, write letters etc.

                                  Obviously, if I can help anyone with English I will more than happy to
                                  oblige.

                                  Finally may I wish a Happy New Year to everyone.

                                  David
                                • JacobRi@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 5, 2007
                                    where do you live in England (I'm in Northumberland)?
                                  • Julia Lindahl
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 24, 2009
                                      Hi all
                                      I am a new member of this group.
                                      My name is Julia and I am a 19-year-old girl from Sweden. Now I am working at a switchboard, but I plan to start a further education later this year. I am totally blind since birth. I am very interested in foreign languages and enjoy meeting new people, so that's why I joined this group. At the moment, I am learning English and French, but I know a tiny bit of German as well. If you need help with Swedish, I am here.
                                      Have a nice day.
                                      Julia
                                    • yolka3@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 29, 2009
                                        Hello Julia,
                                            I read your message to foreignlanguage yahoogroups.  I admire your desire to study foreign languages.  I notice one of them is English.  I send out free pages from a book "Common American Phrases" in email. And I attach a sound file in which I read aloud the pages.  If you are interested in receiving the pages, write to me at Corbin21@... or yolka3@... .
                                           I am from the USA.  I have been in Sweden twice.  One time in Stockholm.  Another time I was with a group of Americans driving through Sweden.  I was surprised at how many people knew English.  I don't know Swedish.
                                           At present I study Arabic.  But I have studied Spanish, Latin, German and Russian.
                                          Thank you.
                                         Richard (yolka, Corbin)

                                        My name is Julia and I am a 19-year-old girl from Sweden. Now I am working at a switchboard, but I plan to start a further education later this year. I am totally blind since birth. I am very interested in foreign languages and enjoy meeting new people, so that's why I joined this group. At the moment, I am learning English and French, but I know a tiny bit of German as well. If you need help with Swedish, I am here.
                                        Have a nice day.
                                        Julia
                                      • Erich Coppola
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                                          Hi Julia!
                                          I'm a 27 year-old guy from Portugal and I love learn other languages. Today I speak Portuguese (sure!),  English and French. But I'm planning my "next steps"! What is it like the Swedish? Does it seems to any other language? Does it have those strange letters like Polish, Russian? That scares me!
                                          Hope to hear from you soon,
                                          Erich

                                          Check out my blog on http://erichcoppola.blogspot.com/

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 8, 2009
                                            Hi Erich,
                                            Thanks for your message.
                                            We do have three extra letters that don't exist in the English alphabet. These are å, ä and ö. As there are only three of them, our alphabet is not that different from the English one. Swedish is an indo-european language and belongs to the Germanic family. I am sure there are a lot of differences between Swedish and Portuguese. I understand Danish and Norwegian very well. The Scandinavian languages are similar to each other.
                                            If you have more questions about Swedish, just let me know.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 19, 2009
                                              Hello, this is Salman, from the most famous country these days.

                                              I am a native speaker of Urdu. Currently I am trying to learn Italian, however, I am also interested in Turkish, Arabic and Persian.

                                              Cheers!

                                              Salman.

                                            • rationallyfaithful
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 16, 2009
                                                Hello, this is just a simple post to introduce myself. I love languages and am currently trying to learn Chinese and Japanese. I would like to talk to someone who knows one of those two languages. Later after I feel more comfortable speaking Japanese and Chinese I want to learn other languages. Those other languages are Spanish, French, Arabic and Greek.

                                                Later, Zai Jian, Matane
                                                Angel
                                              • lfg831207
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 7, 2009
                                                  hi,there
                                                  I am Chinese,currently studying in a college.
                                                  I need to improve my english for some reasons.
                                                  and in exchange I can help your Chinese.
                                                  Do you use skype?

                                                  My skype name is qq_fun2008
                                                  Hope to hear from you soon.
                                                • karen murillo
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 20, 2009
                                                    Good Day to all!

                                                    As most of you here I too have a deep love for languages. My name is Karen, and I'm a Bio undergrad. I am currently learning French and German! For the most part French, because I can't find anyone to practice German with.  If you have any tips etc... please do tell!!! I am fluent in English [lol] and Spanish [Hola!] so if you need help in those languages please let me know.

                                                    Once again have a great day!

                                                    Buen Dia a todos!

                                                    Como muchos de ustedes tengo un gran amor para la lenguas. Mi nombre es Karen, y estoy estudiano Biologia. Tambien estoy estudiando Frances y Aleman! Mas el Frances porque no puede ayar con quien practicar el Aleman. Si tienes algunos tips... porfavor comparte!! Hablo ingles [hello!] y español! Si necesistan ayuda en esas lenguas porfavor diganme.

                                                    Ten un buen dia.

                                                  • xxdropofrainxx
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 30, 2009
                                                      --- In foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com, karen murillo <tweetygblue@...> wrote:

                                                      > Good Day to all!
                                                      >
                                                      > As most of you here I too have a deep love for languages. My name is Karen,
                                                      > and I'm a Bio undergrad. I am currently learning French and German! For the
                                                      > most part French, because I can't find anyone to practice German with. If
                                                      > you have any tips etc... please do tell!!! I am fluent in English [lol] and
                                                      > Spanish [Hola!] so if you need help in those languages please let me know.
                                                      >
                                                      > Once again have a great day!
                                                      > [?]
                                                      >

                                                      > Buen Dia a todos!
                                                      >
                                                      > Como muchos de ustedes tengo un gran amor para la lenguas. Mi nombre es
                                                      > Karen, y estoy estudiano Biologia. Tambien estoy estudiando Frances y
                                                      > Aleman! Mas el Frances porque no puede ayar con quien practicar el Aleman.
                                                      > Si tienes algunos tips... porfavor comparte!! Hablo ingles [hello!] y
                                                      > español! Si necesistan ayuda en esas lenguas porfavor diganme.
                                                      >

                                                      > Ten un buen dia.
                                                      > [?]

                                                      i know this won't help too too much but, i've taken german 2 this year and am going to keep learning it until i die :) i've taken spanish in middle school/freshman year. I'm begining to learn french once this school year starts too. I also know some esperanto (hoping to become fluent in it). I would love to just chat and improve my german and (soon to be) french skills
                                                    • ladyrodriguez001
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 31, 2009
                                                        Hello my name is Jay for short,
                                                        I am trying to learn Portugese and Arabic. I have books and audios but someone to talk to is best. I took Portugese for two years and lost all knowledge for no one close to me spoke it. I would like to travel one day abroad and Arabic interest me very much. Hope to hear from members soon.
                                                        Have a Good Day
                                                      • karen murillo
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 1, 2009
                                                          that would be awesome!

                                                          On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM, xxdropofrainxx <xxdropofrainxx@...> wrote:

                                                          --- In foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com, karen murillo <tweetygblue@...> wrote:

                                                          > Good Day to all!
                                                          >
                                                          > As most of you here I too have a deep love for languages. My name is Karen,
                                                          > and I'm a Bio undergrad. I am currently learning French and German! For the
                                                          > most part French, because I can't find anyone to practice German with. If
                                                          > you have any tips etc... please do tell!!! I am fluent in English [lol] and
                                                          > Spanish [Hola!] so if you need help in those languages please let me know.
                                                          >
                                                          > Once again have a great day!
                                                          > [?]
                                                          >

                                                          > Buen Dia a todos!
                                                          >
                                                          > Como muchos de ustedes tengo un gran amor para la lenguas. Mi nombre es
                                                          > Karen, y estoy estudiano Biologia. Tambien estoy estudiando Frances y
                                                          > Aleman! Mas el Frances porque no puede ayar con quien practicar el Aleman.
                                                          > Si tienes algunos tips... porfavor comparte!! Hablo ingles [hello!] y
                                                          > español! Si necesistan ayuda en esas lenguas porfavor diganme.
                                                          >

                                                          > Ten un buen dia.
                                                          > [?]

                                                          i know this won't help too too much but, i've taken german 2 this year and am going to keep learning it until i die :) i've taken spanish in middle school/freshman year. I'm begining to learn french once this school year starts too. I also know some esperanto (hoping to become fluent in it). I would love to just chat and improve my german and (soon to be) french skills

                                                          --
                                                          Karen Murillo LSP
                                                          678*977*7417
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 4, 2009
                                                            Hi

                                                            I wish to learn English communicative skills, if any one can help please reply - i am from India. To know more about my state please log on to www.keralatourism.org

                                                            jayakumar
                                                          • sameur88
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 5, 2009
                                                              hi lady,
                                                              I'm Samir, and I'm a native Arabic speaker, I can help you if you want, I'm learning Spanish, look to hear from you soon ;)

                                                              --- In foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com, "ladyrodriguez001" <ladyrodriguez001@...> wrote:

                                                              > Hello my name is Jay for short,
                                                              > I am trying to learn Portugese and Arabic. I have books and audios but someone to talk to is best. I took Portugese for two years and lost all knowledge for no one close to me spoke it. I would like to travel one day abroad and Arabic interest me very much. Hope to hear from members soon.
                                                              > Have a Good Day

                                                            • Tom
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Sep 25, 2010
                                                                Dear List Members,

                                                                As I just subscribed to this group, I would like to introduce myself.

                                                                My name is Tom, I live in the United States, but I was born and raised in
                                                                Hungary.

                                                                I speak English and Hungarian, and I can also get by in German, Spanish and
                                                                Portuguese. About ten years ago I studied Swahili, but I haven't used it
                                                                since then.

                                                                I work as a government consultant, and in my free time I collect coins and
                                                                run a web site for language teachers.

                                                                I'm looking forward to joining the discussion.

                                                                Tom

                                                                http://FindALanguageTeacher.com
                                                                A place for language teachers to promote their services
                                                                Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/langteacher