Re: Another new member

  • stonegordonssen
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
      Effectively, though I suspect that's a simplification of the
      process. (e.g. not all "leaders" or founding-fathers got heir way -
      Franklin wanted the turkey as our national bird).

      > but i guess the leaders (of america, like washington etc..) were
      english.
      > so english was eventually useed, right?
      >
      > >From: "stonegordonssen" <stonegordonssen@h...>
      > >
      > >Because it was the first language of many of those who settled
      > >here post 1492.
      > >
      > > > german? really? like how?
    • stonegordonssen
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In foreignlanguage@y..., "stonegordonssen"
        <stonegordonssen@h...> wrote:
        > Effectively, though I suspect that's a simplification of the
        > process. (e.g. not all "leaders" or founding-fathers got heir way -
        > Franklin wanted the turkey as our national bird).

        And George Washington specifically asked that his likeness not
        appear on any US money as it reminded him too much of the monarchies
        of Europe.