The fantastic world of language courses

  • frank verhoft
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 7:53 AM

      Dear all,

      First of all, my apologies for cross posting this mail. Secondly, I also realise that my letter is not a 100% on topic. My apologies if this topic would be considered too off topic for the list.

      Because of professional and extra-professional reasons, I have to deal with (foreign/second) language courses quite often. Well, often enough to wonder not only about the didactical and linguistic principles, but also about the sociological aspects of this peculiar kind of this, erm, peculiar "genre" (can't find another word right now). Each time again I'm struck by the values and by the society they depict and describe, "stereotype" being one of the key words here...

      In connection with this, I have several questions/requests:

      * I'm searching for information, articles etc. on the sociological, (and socio-linguistical) aspects of (foreign/second) language courses. Does anybody have some tips, titles, books, articles, references to off and online resources?

      * I'm also wondering about personal experiences, how people with another cultural background react upon the world described in language courses. Any kind of remarks, comments, and if possible, illustrations, would be very highly appreciated.

      * I'm also curious about opinions on the relation stereotype-language learning.

      Many thanks in advance!!

      Best regards,

      Frank Verhoft

      "De perto ningu�m � normal!" - Caetano Veloso

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball