Italian

  • Jill Shearer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hi,
      I am working on a novella, and need English to Italian translation
      for a few terms. Please contact me privately, if you're willing to
      help, because some of the terms are explicit (it's an erotic romance)
      and I don't want to offend anyone!
      Thanks,
      Jill Shearer
      Jazz32@...
    • bodiwala
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2000
        3 rd june 2000

        instead of sending me message on bodiwala@... send me on

        smilebodiwala@...

        sorry for inconvinient.

        rcm bodiwala
        I am working on a novella, and need English to Italian translation
        for a few terms. Please contact me privately, if you're willing to
        help, because some of the terms are explicit (it's an erotic romance)
        and I don't want to offend anyone!
        Thanks,
        Jill Shearer
        Jazz32@...

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/foreignlanguage
      • gwazi_2002 <gwazi_2002@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
          I read somewhere that the Italian spoken in Rome, Naples, Venice, and
          other big cities in Italy is different. Could someone tell me what
          the major differences are. Thanks.
        • Nicky <katboy@talk21.com>
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2002
            --- In foreignlanguage@yahoogroups.com, "gwazi_2002
            <gwazi_2002@y...>" <gwazi_2002@y...> wrote:
            > I read somewhere that the Italian spoken in Rome, Naples, Venice,
            and
            > other big cities in Italy is different. Could someone tell me what
            > the major differences are. Thanks.

            well, let me put it like this: Northern Italy has Gallo-Romance
            dialects, whereas Southern Italy has, well, Southern Italian dialects
            that are in some respects closer to Latin. Typical Southern features
            are d cacuminale (in some dialects; also in some Sardinian
            dialects/languages), the absence of a phoneme /o/, r cacuminale
            (retroflex r, similar to the American English one). Typical for
            Northern Italian dialects is the loss of double consonants, final
            consonants, etc. Standard Italian (based on dialects from Toscana) is
            in between, with some Northern features (eg, lenition: /z/ is even a
            phoneme in Standard Italian, whereas it's an allophone of /s/ in some
            dialects) and some Southern features (I think Standard Italian is
            closer to Latin than any other dialect). Oh yeah: Southern Italian
            has only /ts/ (spelling: z), whereas Standard Italian has both /dz/
            and /ts/ (same spelling for both). (Just keep in mind that there are
            so many languages/dialects that it's hard to say general things about
            them...)

            nicò
          • gwazi_2002 <gwazi_2002@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 15, 2003
              I'm planning on starting to learn Italian along with Portuguese. I
              can't find any good websites on Italian. Can someone recommend any
              websites that have good pronunciation guides, grammar explanations,
              and vocabulary; also any good grammar books. Also, are their any good
              Italian singers? I do listen to one Italian singer, Valeria Rossi. Is
              their anyone else that sings pop music? I'm not that into hard rock,
              rap, or anything like that. Grazie.
            • William Kelly
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 16, 2003
                There is a good Yahoo group devoted to Italian. Very active, with a
                number of helpful native speakers, living in Italy, taking part. If you
                post your message there, someone may be able to recommend specific radio
                stations, etc., that you can access via the web.

              • nicky <eysiz@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 16, 2003
                  > > and vocabulary; also any good grammar books. Also, are their any
                  good
                  > > Italian singers? I do listen to one Italian singer, Valeria
                  Rossi. Is
                  > > their anyone else that sings pop music? I'm not that into hard
                  rock,
                  > > rap, or anything like that. Grazie.

                  Maybe you'd like cantautori (singer-songwriters) such as Edoardo
                  Bennato...
                • Oscar Uribe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 16, 2003

                    No, don't listen to them, you want Jovanotti - -he is a young singer and I like his stuff. You could try Zucchero, whose music I can't stand personally but others rave about him. Then you could also try Umberto Tozzi --- ah no, wait you really want, Eros Ramazzotti ... or Lucio Dalla.

                    Have fun!

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Luciano Jotta - Tradutor
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 16, 2003
                      Hello, Carlos!

                      I am also from Brazil, São Paulo city.
                      Where are you from?

                      Glad to have a Brazilian here...

                      Luciano Jotta - Tradutor
                      Freelance translations from/into Brazilian Portuguese and English
                      Specialized in Legal - Medical - Manuals - Books
                      São Paulo-SP, BRAZIL
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9, 2006
                        Is there anyone here who can show me Italian? I have a basic grasp of
                        Spanish, so I know how the language is set up, but that is barely
                        scratching the surface of what there is to learn. Please, someone
                        help me out here...

                        -SR
                      • Ashish Bartakke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 10, 2006
                          Dear SR,

                          What I can suggest is that you can request for joining an Italian yahoo group at Italian@yahoogroups.com

                          Also I suggest that you listen to Italian internet radio at www.multilingualbooks.com so as to get a hang of the Italian pronunciation.

                          Even the BBC site www.bbc.co.uk has a feature on basic Italian which I believe might be useful to you if you have just begun studying the language.

                          But the most important thing I would suggest is that you should join a course for basic level which is available in your country. I am from India hence we have the Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry which conducts courses in Italian upto 3 levels. These are usually enough to give you a good grasp of the language as well as help you in gaining a bit of fluency in the language.

                          Wish you all the best in your efforts to learn Italian.

                          Regards,
                          Ashish.