Al Qa'ida

  • amgiad@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      i guess there are three consonants in Qa'ida - but does the ' stand
      for hamza or ayn?
    • Charlie Ruland
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        The full form (vocalized and with article) is:
        alef fatha lam sukun qaf fatha alef *ain* kasra dal fatha teh-marbuta (damma)
        Could be transliterated as "al-Qa`ida(tu)".
        HTH
        Charlie

      • amgiad
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2002
          by the way, what does Al Qa'ida mean?
          is the transcription /?al qa0iida/ correct? (if ? = glottal
          stop/hamza, and 0 = ayn)
          shukran bsaf
          nicky
        • syahmie01
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
            hi
            i only know a little arabic .
            & sorry i am not familiar with roman transcription.
            but Al Qaidah can be spelled -alif-lam-qaf-alif-ayn-dal-ta
            in this case ta marbutah that sounds h.
            this means 'method'
            if the ayn if replaced by hamzah, than the word means 'leadership'

            shukran jazilan

            -- In foreignlanguage@y..., "amgiad" <amgiad@y...> wrote:
            > by the way, what does Al Qa'ida mean?
            > is the transcription /?al qa0iida/ correct? (if ? = glottal
            > stop/hamza, and 0 = ayn)
            > shukran bsaf
            > nicky
          • Niamh
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
              Hello

              Could someone please recommend me sites on learning Flemish? At the moment i
              learn Dutch but i'm also very much interested in Flemish and i would like to
              learn it almost simultaneously. But i still can't find free on-line courses...
              Any suggestions? Thanx.

              *~*~*~*~*~*~*
              Best regards,
              Niamh
            • amgiad
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
                --- In foreignlanguage@y..., "syahmie01" <syahmie01@y...> wrote:
                > hi
                > i only know a little arabic .
                > & sorry i am not familiar with roman transcription.
                > but Al Qaidah can be spelled -alif-lam-qaf-alif-ayn-dal-ta
                > in this case ta marbutah that sounds h.
                > this means 'method'
                > if the ayn if replaced by hamzah, than the word means 'leadership'
                >
                > shukran jazilan
                >

                > -- In foreignlanguage@y..., "amgiad" <amgiad@y...> wrote:
                > > by the way, what does Al Qa'ida mean?
                > > is the transcription /?al qa0iida/ correct? (if ? = glottal
                > > stop/hamza, and 0 = ayn)
                > > shukran bsaf
                > > nicky

                thanks... Michael told me that /?al qaa3ida/ (/?/ = HAMZA, /3/
                = 'ayn) would be a correct transcription, i.e. not the [i] but the
                [a] is long! this makes transcriptions like Al Kaeda extremely
                misleading, coz to me that looks a bit like [k@'i:d@], although it
                may look like [keId@] to many people... dunno...
                nicky
              • Marc van Brakel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4 1:45 AM
                  Hello

                  Could someone please recommend me sites on learning Flemish? At the
                  moment i
                  learn Dutch but i'm also very much interested in Flemish and i would
                  like to
                  learn it almost simultaneously. But i still can't find free on-line
                  courses...
                  Any suggestions? Thanx.

                  +AD4AKgB+ACoAfgAqAH4AKgB+ACoAfgAqAH4AKg-
                  Best regards,
                  Niamh

                  Hello Niamh,

                  isn't Flemish the same as Dutch, except for some words and the way they
                  pronounce the language?
                  When you go to the Flemish part of Belgium, and you speak your learned
                  Dutch, everybody would understand you there..

                  Marc.
                • Niamh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4 12:11 PM
                    Hello!

                    Marc:

                    > isn't Flemish the same as Dutch, except for some words and the way they
                    > pronounce the language?

                    Yes, i know it's mostly rhe same language to the Dutch, but i still want to
                    learn the differences between them, it's exactly the thing which is
                    interesting for me. Then i could compare words and style and so on. (i only
                    saw the 'I love you' phrase on the Flemish and it was different enough with
                    the Dutch version)

                    Niamh
                  • Frank Verhoft
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4 1:51 PM

                      Hi Niamh, hi all

                      <<<Yes,  i  know  it's  mostly rhe same language to the Dutch, but i still want to learn  the  differences  between  them,  it's  exactly  the  thing  which  is interesting  for  me.  Then i could compare words and style and so on. (i only saw  the  'I  love you' phrase on the Flemish and it was different enough with the Dutch version)<<<
                      Que??? I'm very curious... which phrases did you find? And where did you get them?

                      <<<Thank  you,  i finally clarified the situation with the Flemish and the Dutch.  But  the  thing  is:  when  i asked one belgian man from Flemish part of Belgium,  who  works  now in England and speak with people only English, he said that his thoughts in his head are on the Dutch OR - more often - on the Flemish, so  i  decided  they  are  really enough different. That confuses me...<<<

                      I guess the propaganda machine is working well... more and more people say they speak "Vlaams" in stead of "Dutch", probably for reasons mentioned in the previous mail: Flemish are urged to become "aware" they're Flemish and that requires a language of one's own (whatever that is, maybe celebrating the fact that a minor medieval quarrel on July 11 1302 (the battle of the guilden spurs) has been blown up to a "national(istic)" event by a 19th C second rate writer and a bunch of smart 20th/1st C politicians) and to be proud of that and blah blah blah... where have we heard that before?
                      Also, there ARE differences between "Nederlands" and "Vlaams", and maybe that also causes people to start to differentiate...

                      I added a few links:
                      * the archives of the FL list, where the topic has been dealt with
                      (other messages in the FL-archives "Germanic continua, German dialects (don't let the title of the mail/thread mislead you), +/- the mails 1264-1319)
                      * info on Dutch in Flanders and the Netherlands:
                      * on Flemish

                      <<<I  need  to listen Flemish speech to get an idea in my head how it differs with dutch, but i can't listen to online radios, I can only sound-files. That's why i need some links to pages containing them.<<<

                      Oh, k, i see, that's a pity...
                      Well, the major prob is that NT2 (Dutch 2nd language) in Flanders is still scandaloulsy underdeveloped, despite the urgent need, and hardly any decent and informative on line resources can be found. I've been searching for a comprehensive Dutch course with "Flemish Dutch" sound files for quite some time, but alas... I found some texts dealing with the differences, but they are completely in Dutch...
                      I'm old enough, though,  to remember good ol' off line radios ;))... this is the link to the pages with info on the AM frequencies of Radio Vlaanderen Internationaal http://www.rvi.be/uk/watzendt/index.htm. To be honest, i have no idea what all those numbers could mean...
                      Other off line (sound) material is equally rare... "Vanzelfsprekend" is a course made in Flanders (Leuven), designed for highly educated students, but - as usual - the cassettes are quite expensive (+/- € 30, www.acco.be /"taal en letteren").
                      I have the cassette of another course at home ("Spreekrecht" lower educated students, level 1), but some of dialogues are read by Moroccan students speaking Dutch (wonderfully well read and spoken, but one can hear the "foreign" accent/pronuciation nevertheless). In case it sounds interesting to you, feel free to give a yell...
                      At school we have some other didactic audio stuff... but, erm, the school is closed in this period of the year and it will only open again in the second half of August.

                      Groetjes,

                      Frank