Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] HOAX! (please send this to all victims) Re: very bad virusalert!!!!!!

  • afme@ihug.co.nz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
      Caroline also

      Most recent viruses are written in visual basic, haha. The ones I find use up 48 KB, and if they have
      some text preceding a bit more.

      click and go to properties, right click, and view the text rather than double click to read it.
      If it has a string of A in the first line the bet is that it is a virus. They also come in 148 KB odd,
      and usually some sort of MY document style personal remark in the subject line. So I watch my incoming
      mail for speed of download and unless it comes from a known name I check it and if so, delete unread.
      The real dread is sneaky adware, which virus checkers don't detect and which needs the likes of ad aware
      or spybot. I have not been infected for a year.

      Adrian.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
        Hi Adrian

        Thanks for the advice! I'm afraid I panicked this morning. My son happened
        to be away, otherwise he'd have put me straight. He installed ad aware for
        me the other day so that should help, and I update Norton from time to
        time -- mainly after a panic. This morning's one got me because it gave
        address and phone number -- but then, of course, the sender would have been
        tricked too.

        Several people have now told me what the file I deleted (jdbgmgr.exe)
        actually does. It's the "Microsoft Debugger Register for Java", which I
        don't imagine I shall ever need. Anyway, it's been a great nuisance but
        with some compensations: I've had kind messages from several old friends.

        Cheers
        Caroline

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • afme@ihug.co.nz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
          And bingo, had one this morning. Norton is not all that good I use Antivir from DEBV in Germany,
          updates every time a new virus comes out and I do this once a week, It's free for personal use. Also
          has an e-mail guard and I've had no problems at all with it. Ad-aware is now outdone by spybotsd12 .
          exe or zip. Adrian