gravity as filtering: this process is equivalent with observing an increase in the wavelength of a wave as it moves against the field. Which means it is a possible way to emulate gravity

  • cyrano@aqua.ocn.ne.jp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2001
      Fwd:

      Claude mentioned something about gravity seen as filtering (within Ross'
      model).
      I haven't heard anything about this, so what I will be saying here may be
      off the wall.

      The only way I see right now one can emulate the curved spacetime by
      employing waves is to emulate the behaviour of the electromagnetic waves in
      a gravitational field:

      The wavelengths of the wave increases as the wave proceeds against the
      field.

      If one considere the distance between two successive crests of the wave as
      the length etalon, is it also easy to visualise why space is bend around a
      massive body: make a circle around the body and use a wave to measure its
      length. Since the wave is in a constant field, its wavelength will stay
      fixed (OK, you can't do this with light, because it flies to fast, but you
      can use mirrors or a slower wave). Lets say that the wave crests count is
      NP.
      Now, you measure the radius of the circle. Because of the gravity, you will
      get a count NR which is MORE than NP/2Pi (which will be the answer in flat
      space).
      That's the space curvature (remember: we can measure the space only with
      material objects!).

      Now, let's assume that the spacetime is flat and some filtering of the waves
      occurs around massive bodies for some reasons. This means that from a
      wave-packet containing high frequencies waves some of the high frequency
      waves are absorbed. What is left are the low frequancy ones. So, this
      process is equivalent with observing an increase in the wavelength of a wave
      as it moves against the field. Which means it is a possible way to emulate
      gravity,
      because in the end, taking into acound how we measure distances and times -
      by using waves, this is equivalent of having bent spacetime around a massive
      body.

      Einstein's GRT tells us how much matter bends spacetime and how matter moves
      through spacetime, but does not give an answer to **why** matter bends
      spacetime. A filtering of the waves appears, at least at a quick glance, to
      provide such a mechanism (however, it has to have the right features as to
      generate the same equations as GRT).
      C’est comme en escrime, "l’adversaire avance, vous le laissez avancer et
      c’est lui qui s’embroche"

      Dumas

      Si tu te fais ver de terre, ne te surprend pas si on t'écrase avec le pied !

      Kant