Magnetic field flips

  • c.h.thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 9:37 AM
      Dear All

      Any ideas on earth and sun magnetic field flips?

      Cheers
      Caroline
    • gjones33@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 11:16 AM
        Dear Caroline,

        There is absolutely no valid evidence that the earth's magnetic field has
        flipped. There are valid explanations for all the known apparent anomalies.
        Those who believe the earth's magnetic field has flipped don't know how the
        earth's magnetic field is produced and maintained in the first instance, when
        they discover that, they will not only know that it has not flipped but also
        where to look for other anomalies.

        Let me know if you have a further interest in this topic.

        Cheers,
        Gareth

        ,
      • c.h.thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 12:01 PM
          Dear Gareth

          > There is absolutely no valid evidence that the earth's magnetic field has
          > flipped.

          You're probably right, which means I've wasted a fair amount of mental
          energy over the years trying to puzzle out rational explanations. The main
          evidence I've heard about is the deposits at the bottom of some oceans,
          which seem to come in strips with alternate north and south magnetisation.
          They originated as molten material emerging from fissures in the ocean
          floor. I'm inclined to think that George Galeczki's observation about the
          effect of heat on some materials may be very relevant.

          Do send your comments to Hal Fox <halfox@...>. He's the one who's
          really interested!

          Cheers
          Caroline
        • Adrian
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 12:48 PM
            I for one imagine that E/M. events don't necessarily reflect as physical
            events although they may induce certain processes that utilise matter as a
            medium. Hey, one could mount a new theory of time on that one.

            Adrian.

          • gjones33@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 2:14 AM
              Dear Caroline and Hal

              It is well known that rocks in the earth carry electric current and it is
              equally well known that electric currents produce magnetic fields. Now
              imagine a section through a large diameter conductor carrying an electric
              current and you were to bore your way through it. You don't need a lot of
              physics to realise that the direction of the magnetic field relative to one
              position, say the top, will be opposite to that at the bottom. Did the
              magnetic field flip while you were boring your way through? I think not. This
              scenario is consistent with all the so called evidence I have found for
              magnetic reversals, including the zero field bits in the centre.  If we are
              to make progress in this field then we should be looking at the cause and
              other effects of the electric currents in the earth. Hope this helps.
              Cheers,
              Gareth
            • Jack Martinelli
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4 9:13 AM

                Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 2:14 AM
                Subject: Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] Magnetic field flips

                Dear Caroline and Hal

                It is well known that rocks in the earth carry electric current and it is
                equally well known that electric currents produce magnetic fields. Now
                imagine a section through a large diameter conductor carrying an electric
                current and you were to bore your way through it. You don't need a lot of
                physics to realise that the direction of the magnetic field relative to one
                position, say the top, will be opposite to that at the bottom. Did the
                magnetic field flip while you were boring your way through? I think not

                So then, the samples you know about only had two bands of
                magnetic reversal?

                Regards

                Jack Martinelli

              • c.h.thompson
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4 4:11 PM
                  Deara Gareth

                  > It is well known that rocks in the earth carry electric current and it is
                  > equally well known that electric currents produce magnetic fields. Now
                  > imagine a section through a large diameter conductor carrying an electric
                  > current and you were to bore your way through it. You don't need a lot of
                  > physics to realise that the direction of the magnetic field relative to
                  one
                  > position, say the top, will be opposite to that at the bottom. Did the
                  > magnetic field flip while you were boring your way through? I think not.
                  This
                  > scenario is consistent with all the so called evidence I have found for
                  > magnetic reversals, including the zero field bits in the centre.

                  I'm not sure I've understood the geometry you have in mind, but Jack could
                  be right that it might only explain one flip. The evidence I've seen was a
                  map of an ocean floor showing many roughly parallel stripes side by side,
                  supposed to have alternate directions of magnetisation.

                  I think there is something in what you say, though, when it comes to
                  measurements of "magnetic fields" of the planets etc. The only data they
                  have are atomic spectra. There might be more straightforward ways of
                  interpreting observations, talking of movements of charged particles rather
                  than of magnetic fields.

                  Cheers
                  Caroline
                • Robert Neil Boyd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4 5:09 PM
                    The earths magnetic fields wander about and occasionally
                    flip. Common belief is that the magnetic domains in the
                    plastic core represent a virtual plasma which is inherently
                    magnetohydrodynamically unstable by virtue of its shape.
                    Due to this, the field can alter polarity. It is possible that
                    some magnetic perturbations may be involved, perhaps
                    solar in origination. The magnetic vector potential and the
                    spin field of the sun effect the magnetic feild of the earth
                    directly, in addition to the solar wind.

                    Neil

                  • gjones33@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5 12:29 AM
                      Dear Caroline and Jack,

                      The mental picture I gave was as a simple one to explain how the anomalies
                      occur. Conductive rocks are usually in strata which can be likened to a bunch
                      of separate conductors. If you bore through them, and depending on how many
                      separate conductive rock strata you bore through, you could mistakenly
                      believe the earth's magnetic field has flipped several times. Bore a bit
                      further and Ooops! another flip and the guy with the deepest bore in the most
                      stratified regions of the earth will find more magnetic flips than the guy
                      with a shallow bore. Also, volcanic activity can throw up rocks from deep
                      within the earth which will add to the confusion.

                      Electric currents in these rocks produce the earth's magnetic field and
                      changes in these currents due to extraterrestrial events cause variations in
                      the earth's magnetic field.
                      Does anyone have other evidence of magnetic flip?
                      Hope this clarifies matters.
                      Cheers,
                      Gareth