Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] The first fundamental question

  • Jack Martinelli
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 3:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] The first fundamental question

      Here is my question:

      What are the topological, and other, properties of the physical vacuum
      which will make faster than light travel engineerable, and survivable?

      Taking this one step further, we should ask about the nature of light-speed.  There
      are two things to address here:  the context & content.  And we should address these two
      ideas without any bias towards either.  I.e., we need both to make meaningful statements.

      So, for clarity & further discussion we need to agree on what or how we define a context
      that allows us to make statements about "the speed of light".  So, I'll propose my idea
      and then you can see if you can poke holes in it.

      I would, first of all, suggest that any statements we make about the structure and content
      of the universe be immediately verifiable.  Implying that whatever elaborations (within
      reason) we might make to our verification procedures will lead to some verifiable
      phenomena.  I.e., rather than build theory on the interpretations of measurement results,
      we build on the implications of a measurement theory. Ok, there I said it, my bias is
      towards measurement theory :),

      Note that there is a "topological" (point set algebra) implementation of measurement theory
      But I think a category implementation is also possible and probably the better choice since
      it can model a universe of both discrete & continuous objects.  I know very little about either
      category theory, or psa, but this is the direction I find myself being pulled in.  Someday I hope
      to be able to discuss "the speed of light" with these tools, but for now there are things we
      can discuss using the principle of verification.  And besides, the statements we can make
      at this level of detail are also more illuminating to lay people (the people who fund stuff like this)
      and students.

      Having said that, I'll propose a couple of definitions for "static" and "dynamic".  And we
      use these to discuss "the speed of light".

      static: that which does not change with respect to something else.
      dynamic: that which changes with respect to something else.

      Note that "something" should not be time.   Obviously it can be but, I think that time, as
      it has been used, implies some context that nobody (it seems) understands.  Which
      won't help us.

      Take "static length" for example.  To show that a length is a static length I have to have
      "a prior" static length to compare it with -- not possible.  Consequently I can only
      compare two lengths and determine that they are static only with respect to each other.
      Which implies that two lengths can be static with respect to each other and dynamic
      with respect to other lengths.  An interesting consequence of this view is that is can be
      said that the universe is not expanding -- matter is shrinking.  I.e., we just define the
      universe to be static and matter to be dynamic.  I.e., the universe is static with respect
      to space & matter is static wrt to matter, but matter is dynamic wrt space.

      I could go on more about this, but, before I do I think I should let you respond.