Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] Scientists break "speed" of "light"(?)

  • Kyle R. Mcallister
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 11, 2000
      > My humbler bottom
      > line is can the man think and sad to say one finds either competency in
      > varying degrees on both sides of the party line.

      I would have to agree with the above.

      > To consider your comments,
      > f i, one would also have to know these days quite where in the pecking
      > orders on the footie field you stand. Me? just a much frowned upon
      maverick
      > who refuses to stay with party lines altogether.

      If you mean, where do I stand, either for or against the establishment or
      the fringe, that's a question I often ask myself. I find the degree of
      openness in the establishment to be sadly lacking. Declaring something to
      be outright impossible or compulsory just because of a particular
      mathematical framework is dangerous. To then become philosophical about it,
      and say to someone who asks hard questions, that they cannot ask such
      questions, is psychological conditioning. This conditioning does not just
      happen on the side of the establishment. The fringe, on the other hand,
      seems to sadly consist of a large part of people who may be sincere, but
      who have not taken the time to learn what is or is not true, and by that I
      mean, what has been demonstrated by a well-conceived, well-executed
      experiment? Many of the fringe scientists do not bother to include things
      that are accepted at all. Fringe theoreticians are even worse. Me, I'm
      neither establishment or fringe. I think categorization is a pretty bad
      thing...probably due to my experiences as a youth. I am an experimentalist,
      as John Schnurer would say, a "hardball, nuts and bolts, belt and
      suspenders" type person. I don't think the universe operates by Occam's
      Razor, and I don't think it is mathematically 'beautiful.' I think it is
      more complex than can be imagined. I personally like it that way. I suppose
      you could say I like elements of the fringe and the establishment, and I
      hate parts of them as well. As far as faster than light is concerned, I
      can't say either way. There is much going on that deserves more research,
      and if the day comes that a true result is dismissed as something else on
      purely mathematical or theoretical grounds, I would mark it as the day
      science died. I don't think that has happened yet, and I desperately pray
      it does not. On a more personal note, I think given high enough technology,
      trips to Alpha Centauri will take less than 4.35 years, Earth time.

      Apologies for the length.

      --Kyle R. Mcallister
    • Adrian
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 11, 2000
        Subject: Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] Scientists break "speed" of
        "light"(?)

        Amen to that lot. I find the fringe theoreticians worse because they fail to
        take time out to learn how to think properly. Personally whichever way the
        cookie crumbles I'll manage and yes lots more research is needed. Of course
        the FTL proponents cook the books if to get published it has to be pickled
        in photons. By the time one untangles oneself from the idiocies on either
        side it do get tedious, it do. I too like my fridge reliable and my peanuts
        tasting crunchy. Cannot stand Bishops meddling in science at all, oops,
        stupid scientists adopting bishops. If indeed it was simple we'd have it
        sassed out millenia ago.

        Adrian.

      • gjones33@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 11, 2000
          stk@... writes:

          > Never heard of Rodrigues, but if that Obolensky is Alexis Guy Obolensky, I
          > don't think he is considered to be an expert by very many
          > people...especially establishment physicists.
          >
          > --Kyle R. Mcallister

          I think that highly recommends him.
          Cheers
          Gareth
        • c.h.thompson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
            Dear Kyle

            > > I have just attended a conference at which there were two experts on
            this
            > > subject, and it is all a matter of how the light pulse is deformed and
            > > detected. The front of the wave does not exceed speed c.
            >
            > Can you tell us what this conference was? Where it was held?

            NPA (Natural Philosophy Alliance,
            http://members.home.net/saiph/npahome.html), Storrs, Connecticut, June 5-9,
            2000. So far they do not have an impressive record of achievment, but they
            are now very knowledgeable about the way in which the establishment is
            distorting and causing stagnation in fundamental physics.

            > > In case you are interested, the experts were Rodrigues (a brilliant
            > > mathematical physicist) and Obolensky, who has done many practical
            > > demonstrations of such effects, though not maybe as dramatic as the one
            > > reported.
            >
            > Never heard of Rodrigues,

            Maybe not, but I glanced at a book he has just published on quantum
            nonlocality and the *maths* in it is most impressive. Now that he knows
            that the experimental evidence for nonlocality is non-existent he might put
            rather a different story in the next edition! He knows French and is
            prepared to study some parts of Aspect's thesis that I think depend on an
            illogical assumption - not illogical in the physical sense of "acausal" but
            just in the ordinary sense of being nonsense within the laws of statistics
            and algebra. Quantum theory is a relatively new interest for him - he seems
            to be expert in many areas of mathematical physics.

            > but if that Obolensky is Alexis Guy Obolensky, I
            > don't think he is considered to be an expert by very many
            > people...especially establishment physicists.

            Yes, so he said! His career in the establishment was severely damaged when
            someone published without consulting him a "joint" paper that included false
            information.

            Caroline
            http://www.aber.ac.uk/~cat
          • Kyle R. Mcallister
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
              > Yes, so he said! His career in the establishment was severely damaged
              when
              > someone published without consulting him a "joint" paper that included
              false
              > information.

              Really? Did he say who or what it was, specifically, that did this to his
              reputation?

              --Kyle R. Mcallister
            • cyrano@aqua.ocn.ne.jp
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                >Adrian wrote:
                >
                >> That still means we do have the APPEARANCE of FTL, as misinterpreted in
                >> contextual terms of photons and particles, which still leaves me with the
                >> puzzle that us living in a WORLD of Appearances, quite what we can do
                with
                >> waves here, waves there, waves everywhere. AND if we have particles as
                >> wrong, so too for waves, as BOTH space and time are categories of the mind.
                >> So what does REALLY go on? So when will we "break" the bind of illusions?
                >> Measuring speed requires us taking up TWO positions in space. Of course,
                >> unless you wish to give up on consistency too. This lot, however misnamed
                >> gives us a lead into how the whole keeps itself whole. Of course that does
                >> not explain, at all, how come it would want to keep itself whole.
                >>
                >> Adrian.
                >> ========

                Agreed.

                Claude
              • cyrano@aqua.ocn.ne.jp
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                  Dear Caroline,

                  >[Adrian]
                  >> > My humbler bottom
                  >> > line is can the man think and sad to say one finds either competency in
                  >> > varying degrees on both sides of the party line.
                  >
                  >You are right to have doubts, Adrian. As far as I can tell Rodrigues is an
                  >impeccable mathematician, but you may have already guessed that I was a
                  >little shaken that he should have put so much effort into mastering the
                  >maths of the EPR experiments without first checking out the reality of the
                  >situation.

                  ENTIRELY AGREED,Caroline.

                  The herds of pink elephants have contaminated western Science and
                  transformed it into **NUMEROLOGY**.

                  I knew it all the way when I started biology and that our prof. would
                  insist that maths were "needed" to enter in the scientific sect...

                  Thanks that I met Ross Tessien!

                  How to demathematise Science,now,and put it back on correct tracks?
                  "Scientists" have become catholic priests...and we are the "new
                  Protestants" in a way!

                  Best,

                  Claude
                • milo wolff by way of cyrano@aqua.ocn.ne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                  • Robert Neil Boyd
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                      I don't believe what you are saying. Rodriguez has written several papers
                      on FTL. I still can't understand why this opposition to FTL. The facts speak
                      for themselves on this. FTL is a fact. Live it or live with it.

                      Adrian wrote:

                      > That still means we do have the APPEARANCE of FTL, as misinterpreted in
                      > contextual terms of photons and particles, which still leaves me with the
                      > puzzle that us living in a WORLD of Appearances, quite what we can do with
                      > waves here, waves there, waves everywhere. AND if we have particles as
                      > wrong, so too for waves, as BOTH space and time are categories of the mind.
                      > So what does REALLY go on? So when will we "break" the bind of illusions?
                      > Measuring speed requires us taking up TWO positions in space. Of course,
                      > unless you wish to give up on consistency too. This lot, however misnamed
                      > gives us a lead into how the whole keeps itself whole. Of course that does
                      > not explain, at all, how come it would want to keep itself whole.
                      >
                      > Adrian.
                      > ========
                      > Subject: Re: [forcefieldpropulsionphysics] Scientists break "speed" of
                      > "light"(?)
                      >
                      > > Dear All
                      > >
                      > > I have just attended a conference at which there were two experts on this
                      > > subject, and it is all a matter of how the light pulse is deformed and
                      > > detected. The front of the wave does not exceed speed c.
                      > >
                      > > In case you are interested, the experts were Rodrigues (a brilliant
                      > > mathematical physicist)

                    • c.h.thompson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                        Re Alexis Guy Obolensky:

                        > > Yes, so he said! His career in the establishment was severely damaged
                        > when
                        > > someone published without consulting him a "joint" paper that included
                        > false
                        > > information.
                        >
                        > Really? Did he say who or what it was, specifically, that did this to his
                        > reputation?

                        Yes, he did, and I'm about to write to him anyway to ask his opinion of my
                        latest idea for that FTL experiment, so I might as well ask more of his
                        scandal story. I did not recognise the name.

                        My latest hunch has little to do with the speed of light! It is much more a
                        matter of getting away from the photon idea and thinking about what that
                        caesium is there for and how the detectors work, and the fact that the
                        faster pulse started off much more intense than the other one. Was that
                        last bit of information made public? I got it from Rodrigues. I think he
                        said 82% of the beam went by the route with the caesium in it.

                        Do you know how they checked the path lengths for equality?

                        Cheers
                        Caroline
                        http://www.aber.ac.uk/~cat
                      • c.h.thompson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                          Dear Kyle and Adrian

                          [Adrian]
                          > > My humbler bottom
                          > > line is can the man think and sad to say one finds either competency in
                          > > varying degrees on both sides of the party line.

                          You are right to have doubts, Adrian. As far as I can tell Rodrigues is an
                          impeccable mathematician, but you may have already guessed that I was a
                          little shaken that he should have put so much effort into mastering the
                          maths of the EPR experiments without first checking out the reality of the
                          situation. But, as he told me, he is interested in maths and logic for
                          their own sakes, as I myself used to be before I discovered the beauty and
                          complexity of the real world.

                          [Kyle?]
                          > > Me? just a much frowned upon maverick
                          > > who refuses to stay with party lines altogether.

                          If you want to be smiled upon, join the NPA! But I fancy you may not really
                          care, and I have to admit that I do not share their time-consuming
                          preoccupation with relativity. About 50% of the people at the conference
                          were interested in other things, such as properties of the aether, cold
                          fusion (Hal Fox was there, BTW), some weird "rail gun" experiments in which
                          the "bullet" went backwards. Francisco Mueller showed us a video, so I know
                          this is true! Make the bullet of brass and it goes forwards, but change it
                          to (magnetisable) steel and, if you are lucky, it goes back a little before
                          burning into the rail.

                          > As far as faster than light is concerned, I
                          > can't say either way. There is much going on that deserves more research,
                          > and if the day comes that a true result is dismissed as something else on
                          > purely mathematical or theoretical grounds, I would mark it as the day
                          > science died.

                          I suspect that in this field and many others science is in a coma. I'm sure
                          that true results HAVE been dismissed, as anything that can't be "explained"
                          mathematically can't get published! This may be an exaggeration but it's
                          not far off.

                          > I don't think that has happened yet, and I desperately pray
                          > it does not. On a more personal note, I think given high enough
                          technology,
                          > trips to Alpha Centauri will take less than 4.35 years, Earth time.

                          Hmmm ... Well, of course, a lot of the things we see out there might turn
                          out to be closer than we think. The quasars especially. Halton Arp, the
                          dissident expert on these, was at the NPA meeting. Various alternative
                          ideas both for the basic cosmological red shift and for the special,
                          partly-quantised, red shifts of groups of quasars, were put forward.

                          > Apologies for the length.

                          I enjoyed it! Thanks.

                          Caroline
                        • Adrian
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 12, 2000
                            "light"(?)

                            > Dear Kyle and Adrian
                            >
                            > [Adrian]
                            > > > My humbler bottom
                            > > > line is can the man think and sad to say one finds either competency
                            in
                            > > > varying degrees on both sides of the party line.
                            >
                            > You are right to have doubts, Adrian. As far as I can tell Rodrigues is
                            an
                            > impeccable mathematician, but you may have already guessed that I was a
                            > little shaken that he should have put so much effort into mastering the
                            > maths of the EPR experiments without first checking out the reality of the
                            > situation. But, as he told me, he is interested in maths and logic for
                            > their own sakes, as I myself used to be before I discovered the beauty and
                            > complexity of the real world.
                            >
                            > [Kyle?]
                            > > > Me? just a much frowned upon maverick who refuses to stay with party
                            lines altogether.

                            == Nope that was Adrian, who is nowise into any kind of bandwaggon the
                            beauties of the real world being far more fascinating. One of my major
                            hiccups with math as with Artificial Intelligence is that it cannot DO a
                            realtime dynamic cross check of a realtime data crunching process, often
                            miscalled "thinking" as if it is linear and conceptual and which real, live
                            minds do all the time and any logical tracing of that process always partly
                            misses the boat. Mechanically speaking it gets us into an infinite re- or
                            pro-gression which obviously cannot happen with the mind. There's slightly
                            more to it than Godel's proof intimates.

                            > If you want to be smiled upon, join the NPA! But I fancy you may not
                            really
                            > care, and I have to admit that I do not share their time-consuming
                            > preoccupation with relativity.

                            === Not one mind snarling damn "bit" and my fancy is that relativity is a
                            mind problem not exactly a physical one. It is rather tricky to crawl out of
                            the Heisenberg indeterminacy prinzip, which is more about re-representation
                            than presentation.

                            About 50% of the people at the conference
                            > were interested in other things, such as properties of the aether, cold
                            > fusion (Hal Fox was there, BTW), some weird "rail gun" experiments in
                            which
                            > the "bullet" went backwards. Francisco Mueller showed us a video, so I
                            know
                            > this is true! Make the bullet of brass and it goes forwards, but change
                            it
                            > to (magnetisable) steel and, if you are lucky, it goes back a little
                            before
                            > burning into the rail.

                            === Most of them are into product thinking and not into thinking about
                            thinking to find out how to do it properly. I'm pretty sure there are
                            several very weird effects to be had but few think that right through around
                            the reality mulberry bush. The bullet would show fields are important and
                            fields are neither particles nor waves. Fields may be one means to
                            reconcile an infinite universe with finitised appearances but this would
                            entail intra, supra and infra field transitional events. I'm also sure FTL
                            exists for the simple reason no UNI-verse can do without it but the
                            explanations are all cock-eyed. BEfore one can get simple one has to match
                            IT's complexity and understand it as a whole and then one can pick out what
                            nicely sums it up and not before. They've got no patienza.

                            Adrian.