Re: The Aether

  • cyrano@aqua.ocn.ne.jp
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
      Dear Caroline,

      >> >Surely the discontinuity comes from the concept of particle, not from
      >> >wave?
      >> >We have this idea that all waves have discrete particles underlying them,
      >> >but I don't really see that this HAS to be the case for aether. I can
      >> >imagine waves in an elastic medium that were completely continuous.
      >>
      >> Comment concevez-vous un tel milieu continu élastique?
      >
      >I can't go much deeper! It leads to insanity to try too hard.

      Thus the temptation of mathematical pink elephants!!! If you add one more
      dimension,then it prevents the insanity episode but at the cost of realism!!!!

      I prefer to think,for the time being,that the aether "particles" extend
      downwards in scale towards zero "size" which means that such particles do
      not exist!

      Cheers,

      Claude
    • c.h.thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2000
        Dear Claude

        > >Surely the discontinuity comes from the concept of particle, not from
        > >wave?
        > >We have this idea that all waves have discrete particles underlying them,
        > >but I don't really see that this HAS to be the case for aether. I can
        > >imagine waves in an elastic medium that were completely continuous.
        >
        > Comment concevez-vous un tel milieu continu élastique?

        I can't go much deeper! It leads to insanity to try too hard. I just think
        that continuity may be possible: what one does mathematically may reflect
        reality, but who knows?

        Mathematically, I want every point in space to have a displacement from its
        local natural position, and also (probably) a phi-value. Both these
        variables are continuous - the first as a matter of faith, the second just
        because I think it may be. To model mathematically you cut space and time
        up into discrete steps of finite size and then let the sizes tend to zero,
        but this is just maths! Perhaps Nature skips the first stage.

        John Bell produced a nice quote from Einstein - I probably lost it in my
        computer problems the other week. I think it went:

        "God has no need for algorithms. She integrates empirically."

        She must be able to integrate "continuously" as well as empirically! After
        all, how would She chose the sizes of the steps? No individual step has any
        physical meaning!

        Yours
        Caroline