Bike racks at shops?

  • NazarianEdwin@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi folks,

      I have been biking more and more as transportation/exercise in the last few weeks and notice that many places do not have suitable racks to secure my bike. For example, I was astonished that the new super-sized Whole Foods Market near where I live did not have a bike rack.

      I don't know what they were thinking! They certainly have the space! ...in any case, it would obviously promote our cause to have our bikes be more visible at these busy locations.

      Here is a suggestion: We could get together as a group and lobby these places to provide bike racks. It would not cost them much and it would promote a sensitive image toward the community. Anyone have experience with such work or interested in joining in on such a group?

      I have not been on this list very long but have not heard this suggestion through my readings so I thought I put my 2 cents in.

      (BTW, if you want pointers on taking your bike to work, let me know. I have been doing that in the last couple of months and have worked out a bunch of bugs.)

      Sincerely,

      Edwin Nazarian

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

    • douglas sullivan

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Douglas Sullivan
        hardbody,hardcore,hardtail,mountainbiker

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
          Edwin and Douglas,

          If you check foothill-list archives in late 2001, you might find a
          discussion about getting bike racks installed at the Paseo. When the
          new Paseo opened not only didn't they have racks, security would
          instruct bicyclists to go away you can't bring that thing here. After
          calls to the management, the zoning department (zoning code says bike
          parking is required at all new developments), as well as a nice
          little visit to the manager of Gelson's. In about a month or so the
          Paseo had nice new custom-designed racks. Those racks are now heavily
          used and often full.

          The Pasadena is currently involved in an aggressive rack installation
          program. If you know of a place that needs racks tell 'em, I bet
          they'd just do it.

          Dennis

          >That must be some irony that the same stores that promote a
          >healthier lifestyle do not encourage activity along with the
          >environmental attributes. I would send an email to that store's
          >corporate office about this if I were you. I have taken to walking
          >inside a markets with my bike when I don't find racks or don't bring
          >my lock, after my mtn.bike trip.
          >
          >NazarianEdwin@... wrote: Hi folks,
          >
          >I have been biking more and more as transportation/exercise in the
          >last few weeks and notice that many places do not have suitable
          >racks to secure my bike. For example, I was astonished that the new
          >super-sized Whole Foods Market near where I live did not have a bike
          >rack.
          >
          >I don't know what they were thinking! They certainly have the
          >space! ...in any case, it would obviously promote our cause to have
          >our bikes be more visible at these busy locations.
          >
          >Here is a suggestion: We could get together as a group and lobby
          >these places to provide bike racks. It would not cost them much and
          >it would promote a sensitive image toward the community. Anyone
          >have experience with such work or interested in joining in on such a
          >group?
          >
          >I have not been on this list very long but have not heard this
          >suggestion through my readings so I thought I put my 2 cents in.
          >
          >(BTW, if you want pointers on taking your bike to work, let me know.
          >I have been doing that in the last couple of months and have worked
          >out a bunch of bugs.)
          >
          >Sincerely,
          >
          >Edwin Nazarian

        • Roger H. Gray
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
            I strongly agree, and would personally support this and participate (as a
            cyclist); Pasadena Walks!, the local pedestrian advocacy group, would, I am
            sure, support it as the membership is very bike friendly, and their may even
            be a place for local government to support the concept. . . .

            Trader Joe's is another local chain that could do with better bike parking .
            . . . and should be interested in the customer base . . .

            Who wants to organize this? Perhaps the local Green Party would be
            interested in helping out . . .

            Roger

            Roger H. Gray
            Co-Founder Pasadena Walks!
            & Member, City of Pasadena Transportation Commission

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Douglas Sullivan
            hardbody,hardcore,hardtail,mountainbiker

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Roger H. Gray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              I believe you are correct, that the City might well install racks near
              stores if it was requested BUT one of the issues is a location like Whole
              Foods in East Pas -- the City does not have jurisdiction to install the
              racks in the shopping center near the store (cyclists preferred parking,
              much like auto riders) . . .

              Roger

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Dennis Crowley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                I'm not familiar with the physical constraints at Whole Foods. The
                city's bicycle co-ordinator Rich Dilluvio sometimes reads and posts
                to this list and would probably know. He can be reached at
                <RDilluvio@...>. Even getting some racks out at the
                sidewalk would be an improvement.

                Contacting the management at Whole Foods as well as the property
                manager of the shopping center might get results for a rack near the
                doors. If that doesn't work the foothill-listers can start phoning
                and writing to the owners. After all, it's for the convenience of
                their own customers.

                Wild Oats Market on South Lake just installed a new bike rack right
                next to their door and right about the same time the city installed
                racks out on the city-sidewalk. Their customers use them all, as well
                as the patrons of Pete's Coffee and Noah's Bagels.

                Keep us posted.

                Dennis

                >I believe you are correct, that the City might well install racks near
                >stores if it was requested BUT one of the issues is a location like Whole
                >Foods in East Pas -- the City does not have jurisdiction to install the
                >racks in the shopping center near the store (cyclists preferred parking,
                >much like auto riders) . . .
                >
                >Roger

              • douglas sullivan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Thanks Dennis I remember those discussions. I do feel the city is responding to the bike rack issues. However it seems that very little progress has been made towards no parking times or expanded bike lanes on main streets. I almost got caught by a door last week on Colorado near Lake.
                  I will be finishing school and starting to work in the next couple of weeks. I plan to bike commute daily and this means I have more time to be aggressive for the cause.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                    [My initial message did not get there. I am resending it with a few modifications.]

                    Roger, Dennis and Douglas,

                    It would be nice to make this as low key as possible but get groups involved as needed. I think all of us could do with less coordination effort but would love to have backing. I am not sure who can organize this but I am game if need be. We can decide.

                    I think we should decide on a scope. We can choose to just approach this one Whole Foods (the new one on Glendale Ave in Glendale), which I can initially do just by myself, or decide on a group of stores, come up with a letter or something and approach them serially or in parallel.

                    I think the most important thing is to pick small goals, get them done quickly and move on.

                    I am considering Roger interested and maybe Douglas and Dennis are as well. Also, if others are interested, let me know. Maybe we can decide on an approach through these emails. If need be we can meet briefly at a Yahoo Chat session (provided through our foothill-bike Yahoo group) and decide on a few things.

                    Best,

                    Edwin