New Year's Ride Report

  • Dennis Crowley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
      The Parade New Year Ride Report

      It was a cold dark morning but we were there at 6:30. We rode and
      walked along the floats on Orange Grove. What we didn't count on is
      hightened security, FBI, (the other one not Foothill Bike) ATF and
      bomb-sniffing dogs preventing us from reaching our re-group location
      at Colorado and Orange Grove, (don't they know that Osama doesn't
      ride a bike he drives an SUV?). Other riders ran into the same
      situation from the other side.

      So we backtracked and cut across Del Mar, through the bands and
      horses (which was fun in itself). Then made many attempts to get back
      on the route which we were unable to do until Los Robles, but once
      back on Colorado we rolled along fine. Our bike tires were soon
      encrusted with a sticky amalgam of silly-string, confetti,
      marshmallows and tortillas, (which may prevent flats).

      We did manage to bump into a few other riders on the route and then
      at Colorado and Sierra Madre where we watched the fly-over. I got
      e-mails and phone calls from some of those we missed but everybody
      rode the route and saw the planes, had a good time, even if we didn't
      quite do it all together.

      Does anyone know a solvent for marshmallows?

      Happy New Year.
    • Roger H. Gray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        Sorry we couldn't join you, Dennis, but we were en route, via bike and kid
        trailers, to our seats for the parade. Got lots of looks and muttered "Hey,
        we could do that!" along the way. We parked a fair distance from Orange
        Grove and Colorado, being given free bike parking by a church that was
        parking cars. We donated about half what the cost of parking a car would
        have been anyway!

        It would have been possible to get a block or two closer, walking the bikes,
        but we were not sure of the availability of a safe place to park the bikes.
        (We were pretty sure with past experiences the Church folk that they would
        be accommodating and keep an eye on the bikes and trailers.)

        Next year, perhaps one could chat with the many defacto parking folks and
        set up cut-rate bike parking -- even just the sign announcing same would get
        people thinking! Also, the City might work out preferential bike parking
        such that it was real close to most of the major grandstands, but especially
        the official city grandstands . . .

        Roger Gray, Leslie Stotlar, Spencer & Kathryn
        Pasadena, CA USA
        www.pasadenawalks.org

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor