green gravel traffic islands

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
      On the corner of Michigan Ave & Washington Blvd in Pasadena, they have placed green gravel ?islands?
      ?peninsulas? These patches of green protrude into the street 3 feet from the curb. Effectively, making
      Michigan Ave neckdown at the intersection. Isn't this where one would like a wider street?
      What are these called? And did the decision makers ask for bicylists comments.

      Alan
    • Dennis Crowley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
        I don't Know what the city's up to, but I just rode up Michigan and
        there's another one, even wider, at Orange Grove.

        It looks like a quasi "curb extension". Curb extensions, (usually
        concrete curbs,) are used to narrow intersections to improve
        pedestrian safety by reducing crossing-times and car turning-speeds.

        The one on Orange seems to be correcting a too-wide radius on the
        corner, the one on Washington looks like short sight-lines could have
        instigated this application; but my best guess is that neighbors
        complaining about short-cutting commuters driving too fast on their
        residential streets is most likely, because Michigan is a fairly
        un-interrupted cut-through street.

        My biggest criticism would be that the green gravely-stuff could
        compromise traction on narrow bicycle tires; but after a while all
        that loose stuff will be gone anyway. Mostly it looks experimental
        and temporary, I bet it's part of a study to see what works.

        There are similar treatments where they did quasi curb extensions but
        by using botts-dots, at Lake and California, on Los Robles/Cordova
        and again at Del Mar or California. There are a bunch of actual curb
        extensions along California East of Hill.

        There are people on this list that might know more.

        dc