Why Are We Doing This?

  • Dennis.Crowley@pasonline.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2000
      Sometimes wonder why we're bike advocates? Here's a bit of good news that
      might help put some more wind in our sails.

      The results of a large-scale study shows that people who bike to work cut
      their likleyhood of serious illness and early death by 50%.(!) Even as
      little as 15 minutes a day on the bike produces "....a significant
      improvement in health.". It just goes to support what we already know and
      feel.

      (This is reported on AFP (Agence France-Presse), so pardon their English-isms.)

      dc

      >Subject: Yet another reason to bike commute
      >I was alerted to this study through a posting on another list.

      COPENHAGEN, Aug 28 (AFP) - People who cycle to work every
      day halve the risk of suffering serious illnesses or an early death,
      according to a report by Danish scientists published Monday.

      "Those who ride bicycles daily clearly have fewer health problems
      and live longer than those who practise other kinds of sport," said
      Dr Lars Bo Andersen, who headed the study by the University of
      Copenhagen. The enquiry was carried out over the past 30 years,
      across 17,500 men and 13,500 women between 20 and 93 years
      old, and showed that "the harder you pedal, the better you feel,"
      Andersen said. "Even a quarter an hour on a bike each day is
      enough for a significant improvement in health," he added.

      The inquiry was the first to analyse the effect of cycling on public
      health and established that in Denmark, 46 percent of 25 year-olds
      use a bike all year round to travel to work. The figure goes up to 70
      percent in summer. Cycling is popular in all sections of Danish
      society. "Cycling is simply a part of Danish popular culture and is
      an essential factor in maintaining citizens' health," Andersen said.

      > COPENHAGEN, Aug 28 (AFP) - People who cycle to work every day
      > halve the risk of suffering serious illnesses or an early death,
      > according to a report by Danish scientists published Monday.
      > "Those who ride bicycles daily clearly have fewer health
      > problems and live longer than those who practise other kinds of
      > sport .

      The study itself concludes "The major findings of this
      large-scale epidemiological study were that in both sexes and in all
      age groups there was a lower mortality in the physically active
      compared with the inactive. Those who used the bicycle as
      transportation to work experienced a lower mortality rate even after
      adjustment for leisure time physical activity, and sports participation
      discriminated mortality rates even among the more physically active
      subjects.

      The url for the study is here:
      http://archinte.ama-assn.org/issues/v160n11/full/ioi90593.html