Traffic light sensors in Pasadena

  • Branislav Kecman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2010
      Dear Rich,

      I've been testing traffic light sensors with my bicycle while commuting late at night
      (when the conditions for testing are ideal, i.e., very little traffic). The sensors at
      numerous intersections need to be tuned up to work better in detecting bicycles.

      You mentioned on several occasions that bike community should give you a list of
      non-functioning sensors so they can be tuned or fixed, etc. Here is my partial list
      of problems, if you could send someone to address the situation it would be great
      (if they need a live tester feel free to put them in touch with me):

      - Hill Av. northbound, at Del Mar: works OK when there are no cars turning left from the
      opposite direction, otherwise the light never goes green for northbound bikes

      - Hill Av. northbound, at Colorado: stopped detecting bikes after recent street resurfacing

      - Hill Av. northbound, at Walnut: doesn't work for bikes

      - Walnut St. eastbound, turning left on Hill: left turn lane sensor doesn't work for bikes

      - Hill Av. northbound, turning left on Colorado: left turn lane sensor doesn't work for bikes

      I haven't tested other directions at these intersections, they may have similar issues,
      as do other intersections in Pasadena.

      Best regards,
      Branislav Kecman
      (626) 354-2534
    • Branislav Kecman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 9:45 PM
        Dear Rich and Victor,

        can we make some progress on this issue?
        It's been several months, I haven't noticed any changes take effect.
        Can you tell me if anybody has even looked into addressing this?

        Thanks,
        Branislav

        On Oct 28, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Dilluvio, Richard wrote:

        > Thank you for your input. I have copied our Traffic Management Center for their information.

      • Roger H. Gray
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 4:21 PM
          This has been promised for over a decade; nothing whatsoever appears to have
          been about in that decade. (And yes, Rich was on of the earliest promisers
          on this one). Given the recent bike plan -- and crashing lack of anything
          of consequence coming from that effort so full of promises and short on
          performance -- and given the price of gas, I am thinking that it may be time
          to engage the new council on these issues and have ALL cyclists contacting
          council members ASAP . . . .

          Roger

          can we make some progress on this issue?
          It's been several months, I haven't noticed any changes take effect.
          Can you tell me if anybody has even looked into addressing this?

          Thanks,
          Branislav

          On Oct 28, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Dilluvio, Richard wrote:

          > Thank you for your input. I have copied our Traffic Management Center for
          their information.

          Groups Links
        • Roger H. Gray
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 4:47 PM
            Not sure if this is a repeat msg. (Yahoogroups can be odd at times) but I
            want to second these concerns. May I suggest that DOT simply put a list of
            all signalized intersections on a spread sheet with the columns "No Traffic
            Detector" "tested - OK Date", "tested - Does not detect - Date" and
            "Cyclist Complaint Date" . . . then keep it live on the web.

            Most lights with traffic detectors do not function for bike drivers. The
            situation has gone crashingly down hill in the last five years, from even
            the minimal detection level that was once available.

            Roger

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 9:54 AM
              At the recent cycling forum, the city liaison seems to state they planned to do nothing but wait for video based sensors. Huh?

              About a year ago, I saw a Caltrans requirement that I thought all sensors needed to be "bicycle compliant" by Dec 2010 or so but when I checked back recently,
              the same document seemed to state that the requirement was unknown and pending. Was I dreaming when I read it the first time?

              What about the issue of "bicycle buttons? One was installed at Madre and Sierra Madre during a recent? upgrade. Isn't that in Pasadena?
              So often, everything is based on projects and maintenance is forgotten. Many sensors in down are set to timer only due to deferred maintenance.
              (I DON'T think that is the answer, I'm just wondering about the haphazard implementation of some unknown specification.)

              I believe local cyclist should create this list and submit to to the city and not wait for the City of Pasadena to get around to it.

              That's exactly the thing a group such as our should undertake on a "slow but steady" basis.

              Chris Keller
              Rose Bowl Cycling "Committee"

              On Apr 3, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Roger H. Gray wrote:

              > This has been promised for over a decade; nothing whatsoever appears to have
              > been about in that decade. (And yes, Rich was on of the earliest promisers
              > on this one). Given the recent bike plan -- and crashing lack of anything
              > of consequence coming from that effort so full of promises and short on
              > performance -- and given the price of gas, I am thinking that it may be time
              > to engage the new council on these issues and have ALL cyclists contacting
              > council members ASAP . . . .
              >

              > Roger

              Warning: Objects on the calendar are closer than they appear.

              Chris.Keller@..., Chief Technical Officer
              ACHDS 10.4, ACSP, ACTC, ACSA 10.5 ACSP, ACTC 10.6 ACN Member
              t: 626-286-2350 f: 626-286-0181
            • Roger Gray
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4 8:35 PM
                The sensors are there in most cases. They are supposed to detect bikes already, but either have never been set right or have stopped detecting bikes where they used to do so ....

                R. H. Gray / Pasadena, California
                iMail