Harvest Bike Ride and Potluck Social- November 15, 2008

  • akgilchrist
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2008
      C.I.C.L.E. + Path to Freedom = Harvest Bike Ride and Potluck Social

      November is a perfect time for acorn soups, warm casseroles, pumpkin
      pies, bike riding over fallen crunchy leaves, kick ball in the park
      and an Urban Expeditions' Harvest Ride and Potluck Social. On
      Saturday, November 15, at 11:30 AM, C.I.C.L.E. is excited to team up
      with the renowned urban homestead, Path To Freedom, for an incredible
      neighborhood bike ride, potluck and gathering.

      Los Angeles is teeming with diverse minds and culture, and yet
      despite our differences in background and perspectives, we can still
      come together for something reminiscent of a bygone era--when
      community was the most valuable commodity. November's Urban
      Expeditions is one such gathering--packed full of good old fashioned
      good times.

      Start the day by decorating your bike and riding an easy-paced Urban
      Expeditions bike ride around the neighborhood. After the ride, get
      ready for the "100-mile potluck" challenge, where potluck contestants
      will compete against each other for the prestigious "most local dish"
      award. Next we'll enjoy the fruits of the harvest as we feast on
      local and homegrown delectable potluck delights. And there's nothing
      like a bit of fun after a good meal. Enjoy live music by local "ol'
      timey" band Triple Chicken Foot. Be sure to bring your musical
      instruments (if you play) and take part in an impromptu jam session.
      Get creative and use your brain playing "sustainable charades". Enjoy
      kickball, a scavenger hunt, volleyball, gunny sack races and being a
      kid again—and make sure to bring the kids!

      So grab your bikes, your friends, and your family and come celebrate
      with the C.I.C.L.E. folks and the legendary urban homesteaders from
      Path to Freedom. This event is free.

      Special thanks to our event sponsors: REI, Whole Foods, Armstrong
      Nursery (South Pasadena) and Clif Bar.

      Event Details:

      Who: C.I.C.L.E., Path to Freedom, and you!

      Enjoy: A neighborhood bike ride, the100-mile potluck challenge
      (http://www.pathtofreedom.com/eatlocal.htm), music, games, and
      prizes!

      When: Saturday, November 15, 2008
      • 11:30AM: Decorate your bikes in harvest theme
      • 12:30 PM: Neighborhood Bike Ride Departs. This ride will be
      easy, slow, and family-friendly, so bring the kids.
      • After the Ride: Let the food and festivities begin!

      Where: San Pasqual Park, at San Pasqual Ave. and Stoney Dr. in Los
      Angeles, near South Pasadena. Maplink: http://tinyurl.com/harvest-ride

      Bring:

      1. For the ride: your bicycle, in good running order. All
      participants under 18 must wear a helmet and be escorted by a parent
      or guardian. Children under age 9 should be on a tag-a-long, bike
      trailer, tandem, or other safe child-carrying device.

      2. For the "eats": A locally grown main dish, dessert, and/or
      beverage to share. You can check your food dish in at the park before
      we depart for the ride. "The Most Local Dish" contest entries will by
      judged by how many local/homegrown ingredients are used per dish.
      Homegrown ingredients are worth more points. (100 Mile Potluck
      Guidelines: In keeping with the "100 Mile Diet Pledge" please try to
      bring food produced within 100 mile radius if you can.)

      3. For the jam session: Musical Instruments, if you've got some.
      A blanket for relaxing.

      For more information, visit www.CICLE.org or call 323-478-0060.

      About Urban Expeditions:
      Urban Expeditions is C.I.C.L.E.'s year-long series of monthly
      community-focused bicycle rides, sponsored by REI and aimed at
      getting people out of their cars and onto their bikes for a cleaner,
      greener city.

      About C.I.C.L.E.:
      C.I.C.L.E. (Cyclists Inciting Change thru Live Exchange) is based in
      Los Angeles and works to promote the bicycle as a viable, healthy,
      and sustainable transportation choice. C.I.C.L.E. is a project of
      Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs (SEE), a non-profit public
      charity exempt from federal income tax under Section 501 (c) 3 of the
      Internal Revenue Code. Visit www.cicle.org for more information
    • akgilchrist