Star News Letters

  • Dennis Crowley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      Here's a couple letters showing a shocking ignorance of the law and a
      hatred of bikes (cyclophobia?):

      Bike Riders Taking Over

      I've noticed for the past several months that bicycle riders think
      that they have the same rights as registered automobile drivers.

      They probably own cars, but they should obey the laws that apply to
      bikes or autos. They can't have it both ways. They blocked the
      streets of San Francisco, now they want the L.A. Basin. They ride in
      tandem and they make left hand turns from the left hand lanes that
      are for cars instead of walking their bikes across the intersections.
      They are supposed to go with the flow of traffic on the right hand
      side of the road. These clowns are trying to set a precedent and
      nobody is citing them. If they continue this behavior, it will become
      law by virtue of longevity.
      They want rights, but they trample ours.

      Armando J. Najera
      Rosemead

      Bicycles vs. Pedestrians

      Re your editorial "Law proposal unkind to bikers:"

      When 50-plus bicycle riders race peloton style around the Rose Bowl,
      I'm reminded of a herd of stampeding buffalo with heads bowed and
      owning the prairie. Pelotonians appear to assume an exclusive right
      to the Rose Bowl turf and ignore the fact that the oval is also
      shared by joggers, walkers, families pushing baby carriages, skaters,
      and dog walkers.

      I'm not aware that the city has approved the peloton sport around the
      Rose Bowl.
      There is no traffic enforcement during these events. Stop signs have
      no meaning - which is also true of most other bicyclists who
      routinely ride in the traffic lane two, three-abreast having a
      pleasant conversation! I say, if you want to talk, pull over!

      More discouraging however is the arrogance of Pelotonians toward
      anyone in their way. Even when they are in the on-coming traffic
      lane, often heard are expletives of "get the ----- out of the way."
      The combination of Pelotonians and pedestrian ignorance could be a
      formula for disaster.

      Guido Meindl
      Pasadena

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2007
        Here is my take.
        Bike riders without a "BikePath" in the "bike friendly" city of Pasadena.
        In 1996 the Pasadena City Council directed that a bicycle path on the west side of the flood control channel be included as a key element of the final Master Plan for the Lower Arroyo Seco. As we all know this bicycle path was never built after opposition, even though it remained on the draft Master Plan but was not on the final adopted plan. Pasadena could really use this bicycle path right now and having more places for bicycling without impeding traffic would not only be safer but just make sense.

        Doug