Re: [foothill-bike] ARTS buses and bike racks

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      TY Roger, It's just a dream of mine to ride with me kids to their school or the Rosebowl without having to share a car lane.

      "Roger H. Gray" <rhgray@...> wrote: There are only one or two actual bike lanes in Pasadena that allow parked
      cars -- and they are among the first ones laid down decades ago. We
      wouldn't do that now. In any case, if there are cars parked in the bike
      lane then you may ride in the regular travel lane.

      (Legally a bike can take the lane -- unless there is an Class II bike lane,
      when the bike lane is mandatory. N.b., however, Pasadena has LOTS of edge
      striping, which is NOT a bike lane. Edge stripping is intended to
      delineate the begining of the lane and narrow the lane psychologically for
      car riders -- thus slowing traffic a smidge.

      In that circumstance, a bike driver is best served to take the lane well
      outside the door zone; it is considered unsafe by serious cyclists to pop in
      and out of the parking area delineated by the edge stripe, but I have been
      known to ride in that de facto but "fake" bike lane when it was empty just
      to give the cars behind a break.

      R.

      California dui attorney California dui lawyer California personal injury lawyer California refinance California mortgage loan Bicycle tours