Arroyo Bikeway Potential

  • Dennis Crowley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      The County Department of Public Works field meeting went very well
      and opened many eyes but perhaps not quite the way CDoPW had planned.

      We all met at the Lincoln Heights Gold Line station, walked a couple
      blocks West and crawled through a hole in the chain-link fence (the
      first of many that day). Twenty people, (an odd mix of
      neighborhood-activists, bureaucrats and engineers) became flagrant
      trespassers and intrepid explorers in an urban frontier, embarking on
      an expedition of discovery. We walked miles along an abandoned and
      overgrown section of the old Arroyo Road, looking at the county's
      plans and peering down into the channel bottom that is the county's
      proposed bikeway location. Well it didn't take too long for everyone
      to notice that while considering a proposed in-channel bike-path we
      were walking on what used to be the old Arroyo Road.

      In 1938 that old roadway was chopped-up and abandoned during the
      construction of the Pasadena Freeway, however major stretches of that
      old Arroyo Road still remain today. Our walk showed twenty people how
      important that roadway could be again and how far superior it would
      be as a location for a commuter bikeway than the proposed
      channel-bottom project.

      (I would also like to note that half our group of intrepid explorers
      came dressed in office attire and were very good sports about all the
      scrambling, bushwhacking and fence-hole crawling. Thank you.)

      Dennis