FW: Senator Boxer: Reducing Traffic Congestion

  • Roger Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2005
      We have recently heard from Barbara Boxer concerning Federal transportation
      legislation. (See below)

      The good Senator appears to miss the fundamental concept that the best way
      to reduce commute times is to live near where you work and walk or drive a
      bike instead of drive a car. She appears about to make the classic mistake
      and support a bill that builds bigger, wider, faster roads and freeways, to
      accommodate more car riders -- thereby reducing the walkability and
      livability of our cities. She appears poised to fall into the trap of
      road-building to "ease" commutes, which we know actually attracts more
      car-trips and causes people to increase their commute distance, but also
      breeds further car-focused city building.

      Accordingly, Pasadena Walks! has written the senator to request that she
      support strong additional measures in the transportation bill to decrease
      commute times by decreasing commute distances, and funding urban design and
      city redesign to de-emphasis the car-culture and give more nearly equal
      funding emphasis to non-auto modes of travel -- including walking and bike
      driving -- rather than the token support these modes usually receive.

      We encourage you to contact both our California Senators and your local
      congress person to express your support for more federal emphasis on these
      more people friendly modes of travel.

      Email Senator Boxer: http://www.boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm
      Email Senator Feinstein: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm

      Thank you for your support of a livable community!

      Roger H. Gray
      Co-Founder, Pasadena Walks!
      Pasadena, California, USA
      www.pasadenawalks.org

      • Cate Heneghan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          In LA the only real none-traffic hours are between 10:00pm and 5:00am.
          People have to take delivery, load/unload, supervise, etc. If you move
          the the truckers' hours to the swing shift, you will create another
          traffic condition (add to the swing shift "rush hours"). Maybe this
          condition will relieve the current traffic situation, but it will
          definitely create new problems including people with poor sleep
          habits--very bad for driving, families that can't spend time together
          because they work opposite hours, etc.

          Any solution will create other problems, but hopefully the new problems
          will not be worse than the original problem. Of course, the fear of
          creating new problems is what paralyzes us (society) from making any
          changes. The devil you know....

          Cate

        • Roger Gray
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            The key is funding, and funding for hardscape that is not bike antagonistic
            elsewhere, as well as planning $$$ that promote commute reduction within
            bike range, and then bike usage on that shorter range (and transit,etc.)

            The 24 port operation is a good short term fix, but will increase road
            upkeep costs, so again we come down to $$$, and since our parts account for
            something like 42% of all ocean going Freight in America, that's a lot of
            motivation for Federal dollars.

            R.

            Roger H. Gray
            Pasadena, California, USA