QUEREY ON MICROWAVE... STUFFED POTATO IN BREAD MORE HOT THAN BREAD

  • anant dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      dear friends...
      well it was just great to hear your discussions on the microwave....
      congratulations and thaknks for the same.....
      in addition to what every one said i have some additions.....
      like ms shakthi said.... all materials do not perform equally well
      in microiwaves. if we might have noticed at home there are special
      containers for mircowaves. if metal contaiiners are used the rays
      are reflected back to the magnetron or the source and cause dmage....

      in addition the very interesting thing in micro waves is .... if you
      might have noticed is .... heating takes place from inside to
      outside..... thus the heat is generated inside and then is
      released/generated towards the surface, thus if we use it for
      drying.... the moisture remnoval from the centre of the particle
      would take place first than the surface.... moreover as the moisture
      from inside moves out first pores are created in the particle which
      may further help in re constitution properties.....

      well there are many mis conceptiosns that prevail in masses about
      the harmful effects of microwaves..... as mr tapan said, the harmful
      ionization effects... werll these are yet to be proved.... however
      the research on these lines hasn't given much evidence to support
      the harmfuul ionization effects of microwaves.

      about the peptides, well, i'd be glad if some one can just roll out
      the principle of micro waves...... these are different than the
      ioniation gamma radiations which cause ionization of molecules like
      proteins

      regarding the microaves nd enzymes, one of the potential
      applications of microwave is blnching which serves as inactivation
      ae one of the functions, u can come accross studies where miocro
      waves being used for pasteuriozation purposes..... just check.

      but the problem which i see with microwaves is... if we might have
      noticed is.... there is uneven heating in the mass..... e.g a potato
      mass stuffed inside the bread would be more hot than the bread. why
      does that happen ?

      pourin ur thoughts n that
      Anant
    • Sakthi Vijayakumar
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        wel i find two reasons for this unequal heating in microwave cooking...

        1. the dipoles alone can absorb microwaves & convert their energy into heat by dipolar rotation (friction). the dipole is nothing but a water molecule (2 hydrogen ions & an oxygen ion). since the moisture content of bread is considerably less than that of potato, its microwave absorbing capacity wud've been less comparitively than potatoes thus resulting in less amt of heat generated....

        2. the heating takes place from outside to inside.... so consequently the potatoes stuffed inside would become hot more sooner than the bread coverin it xternally...

        but these r jus my assumptions.. corrections & suggestions r most welcomed...

        Regards,
        Sakthi.V

        --
        Defeat is not when u fall.... but.... wen u refuse to get up...
      • Er.N.Kalaivani
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          Dear all,

          The rate of heating depends on the moisture content, shape, volume and mass of food present. Uneven heating can occur in some foods where the outside may be only warm while the inside may be close to boiling (jam filled donuts or meat pies are examples). In other foods, some parts will be cooked, while others are not. Some parts of frozen food may remain frozen if insufficient time is allowed for the heating process.

          Manufacturers use stirrer fans and turntables and recommend standing times to help alleviate the problem of uneven heating. Many microwaveable meal packs carry the instruction to stir the food part way through the cooking process. How far microwaves are able to penetrate into the food will also depend on the thickness of portions and on the composition and moisture content of the food. When heating large quantities of food it is more effective to divide it into smaller portions for reheating than it is to heat a large amount for longer.

          Kalai

          anant dave <swaraj177@...> wrote:
[...]

           With Kalai. N

        • Er.N.Kalaivani
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
            Dear all,

            Uneven heating in microwaved food is partly due to the uneven distribution of microwave energy inside the oven, and partly due to the different rates of energy absorption in different parts of the food. The first problem is reduced by a stirrer, a type of fan that reflects microwave energy to different parts of the oven as it rotates, and by a turntable or carousel that turns the food. It is also important not to place food or a container in the center of a microwave's turntable. That actually defeats its purpose. Rather, it should be placed a bit off-center so that the item travels all around the area of oven's cooking cavity, thus assuring even heating.
            The second problem is due to food composition and geometry, and must be addressed by the cook, who should arrange the food so that it absorbs energy evenly, and periodically test and shield any parts of the food that overheat. In some materials with low thermal conductivity, where dielectric constant increases with temperature, microwave heating can cause localized thermal runaway

            uneven heating can be observed in baked goods containing berries. In these items, the berries absorb more energy than the drier surrounding bread and also cannot dissipate the heat due to the low thermal conductivity of the bread. The result is frequently the overheating of the berries relative to the rest of the food. This can also be addressed with lower power settings.

            Kalai

            anant dave <swaraj177@...> wrote:
[...]

          • anand.swaminathan
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2006
              I think Ms Sakthi's assumption is very right. Potatoes have a higher
              moisture content than bread. And water has a net dipole moment. Such
              molecules oscillate/vibrate by absorbing microwave energy. Vibration
              generates heat. Potatoes have more moisture, which generate more heat
              when compared to the bread, which has a lower moisture content. Hence
              potatoes are hotter than the bread.

              I welcome other explanations if you have.

              Anand

              --- In foodees@yahoogroups.com, "Sakthi Vijayakumar"
              <shakthifoodengineer@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > ioniation gamma radiations which cause ionization of molecules
              like
              > > proteins
              > >
              > > regarding the microaves nd enzymes, one of the potential
              > > applications of microwave is blnching which serves as inactivation
              > > ae one of the functions, u can come accross studies where miocro
              > > waves being used for pasteuriozation purposes..... just check.
              > >
              > > but the problem which i see with microwaves is... if we might have
              > > noticed is.... there is uneven heating in the mass..... e.g a
              potato
              > > mass stuffed inside the bread would be more hot than the bread.
              why
              > > does that happen ?
              > >
              > > pourin ur thoughts n that
              > > Anant
              > >

              > --
              > Defeat is not when u fall.... but.... wen u refuse to get up...

            • SAKTHI VIJAYAKUMAR
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
                i made a samll mistake in my second point.. heating takes place frm
                inside to outside... sorry for the inconvenience people...