History of Omega 3s - Interesting

  • Anand Subramanian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2005
      I was reading through an article and found this story interesting. We have talked so much about Omega 3 fatty acids in fish and how they help in reducing cardiovascular diseases. When and how was this relation between omega 3s and heart diseases known?

      The answer lies in the question that follows.

      Eskimos (people inhabiting the Arctic region and eating raw flesh for food), consumed lots of fat. They needed to do this in order to protect them from the severe cold. Even though they consumed so much for fat, the incidence of heart disease among them was very low. Why?

      To answer this question, scientist started investigating the diet habits of eskimos. Fish was the major diet of eskimos. They make holes in frozen lakes to fish. Eventually, it was proposed that fish had certain compound(s) that reduced heart diseases. The fish that eskimos ate were naturally cold water fishes, which have high amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids.  Thus the relation between Omega 3s and cardiovascular diseases was established. As stated previously, omega 3 reduce the clotting capacity of blood and there by avoid blockage of arteries.

      Anand S. Subramanian
      Master of Science (Ag. & Bio. Eng.)
      Pennsylvania State University.