Re: QUIZ NO 56 : WHY DO BACTARIA SURVIVE HIGH TEMPERATURES ?

  • SAKTHI VIJAYAKUMAR
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2006
      hi to all... thermophiles hav strong disulphide covalent bonds in
      their protein that r responsible for the protection of bacteria at
      high temperatures...
      wel the type of bacteria that can liv around 80 to 110 deg C r termed
      as hyperthermophiles... i hav read that some thermophilies multiply
      faster in the autoclave (at temperatures of abt 121 deg C)... they r
      new class jus discovered some 40 years ago i think.. they usually grow
      in great depths of the ocean... some say that they r the members of
      the archae group of bacteria which thrive at extreme conditions... if
      it is true then their mechanism of survival wil b jus lik that of the
      archae i.e. the archae hav a different metabolism and posses some
      unique enzymes that help them to thrive and grow at those
      conditions... but i dunno wat they r exactly... i wud b glad if
      someone cud pour in more... SUGGESTIONS & CORRECTIONS R WELCOMED...

      SAKTHI.V

      --- In foodees@yahoogroups.com, "anant dave" <swaraj177@...> wrote:

      > hello friends....
      > for this weeks week end quiz.....
      > we have had a discussion on heat resistance of organisms.....
      >
      > WHAT IS THE MECHANISM FOR SURVIVAL OF MICRO ORGANISMS AT HIGH
      > TEMPERATURES WHEN OTHERS GET DESTROYED ?
      >
      > AS MR KEYUR SAID .... WHAT MAKES THE ORGANISMS TO LIVE AND MULTIPLY
      > AT HOT SPRING TEMPERATURES ? SAY 80-90'C ?
      >
      > that wud be the question for quiz no 56.
      >
      > all the best
      > anant.

    • anant dave
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        well,
        it was gr8 to have inputs from u ms shakthi after a long time....
        welcome back...well it was just gr8 to know abt the thermophiles....
        i believe the conformation of the proteins is such that it provides
        stability to the active sites and hence prevent it from denaturation
        and loss of activity of enzymes....
        all points valid....
        i had a doubt.....
        do we really have a threat of such thermophile as u said which can
        multiply at 121.1'C...... !
        suppose that comes in sterlized milk .... what can be the consequeces
        of it...?
        how do we decide the target organisms while selecting the
        stelilization or heat treatment process....
        inputs from all invited...
        thanx and regards....
        anant

        --- In foodees@yahoogroups.com, "SAKTHI VIJAYAKUMAR"
        <shakthi_foodengineer@...> wrote:

        > hi to all... thermophiles hav strong disulphide covalent bonds in
        > their protein that r responsible for the protection of bacteria at
        > high temperatures...
        > wel the type of bacteria that can liv around 80 to 110 deg C r
        termed
        > as hyperthermophiles... i hav read that some thermophilies multiply
        > faster in the autoclave (at temperatures of abt 121 deg C)... they
        > new class jus discovered some 40 years ago i think.. they usually
        grow
        > in great depths of the ocean... some say that they r the members of
        > the archae group of bacteria which thrive at extreme conditions...
        if
        > it is true then their mechanism of survival wil b jus lik that of
        the
        > archae i.e. the archae hav a different metabolism and posses some
        > unique enzymes that help them to thrive and grow at those
        > conditions... but i dunno wat they r exactly... i wud b glad if
        > someone cud pour in more... SUGGESTIONS & CORRECTIONS R WELCOMED...
        >
        > SAKTHI.V
        >
        > --- In foodees@yahoogroups.com, "anant dave" <swaraj177@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello friends....
        > > for this weeks week end quiz.....
        > > we have had a discussion on heat resistance of organisms.....
        > >
        > > WHAT IS THE MECHANISM FOR SURVIVAL OF MICRO ORGANISMS AT HIGH
        > > TEMPERATURES WHEN OTHERS GET DESTROYED ?
        > >
        > > AS MR KEYUR SAID .... WHAT MAKES THE ORGANISMS TO LIVE AND
        MULTIPLY
        > > AT HOT SPRING TEMPERATURES ? SAY 80-90'C ?
        > >
        > > that wud be the question for quiz no 56.
        > >
        > > all the best
        > > anant.

      • SAKTHI VIJAYAKUMAR
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          hi.. that was a nice question posed by Mr.Anant... such strains which
          were able to survive at 121 deg C where found to live at great depths
          of ocean in the hydrothermal vents (place in the bottom of the
          ocean where hot, chemical-filled water flows up. hydrothermal vents
          are commonly found in places that are also volcanically active).
          since the strain is able to grow and multiply faster around 121 degC,
          there might some condition that the organism is able to survive at
          such high temperatures and become inactive or won.'t grow at normal
          temperatures or so... further the type of hazard caused by the
          organism must b known.. also the composition of the medium say milk
          plays a role in this too... moreover the chances of contamination of
          that organism (in milk say) must also b considered... since the
          strain is growin in remote areas uder extreme conditions, chances of
          contamination r very rare...
          but stil wat if all the above conditions prove to b favorable for the
          bacteria to multiply... since these type of hyperthermophiles hav
          been discovered only 40 yrs ago research works r stil going on..
          this is a nice topic to discuss... facts and information regarding
          this r most invited for discussion...
          SUGGESTIONS & CORRECTION R WELCOMED...

        • avantika sharma
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            hello everyone...
            well, i think "empty calories" means no calories
            we know that carbohydrates or sugars are rich sources
            of calories, we use intense sweetners which do not get
            hydrolysed in the human body and hence do not
            contribute to the caloric intake.
            the best example for such a product is DIET COKE, or
            DIET PEPSI....which is claimed to provide 0 calories.
            i'd like to know if my answer is correct.
            thank u.
            avantika.

            ---------------------------------

            <swaraj177@> wrote:

            > > hello friends....
            > > for this weeks week end quiz.....
            > > we have had a discussion on heat resistance of
            organisms.....

            > > WHAT IS THE MECHANISM FOR SURVIVAL OF MICRO
            ORGANISMS AT HIGH
            > > TEMPERATURES WHEN OTHERS GET DESTROYED ?
            > >
            > > AS MR KEYUR SAID .... WHAT MAKES THE ORGANISMS TO
            LIVE AND
            MULTIPLY
            > > AT HOT SPRING TEMPERATURES ? SAY 80-90'C ?
            > >
            > > that wud be the question for quiz no 56.
            > >
            > > all the best
            > > anant.

            Food
            science Process
            engineering

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

            Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new.
            http://in.answers.yahoo.com
          • keyur kumar
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2006
              hi all
              well heat resistance of org is due to stability of ribosomes in the cell making pro
              the other probabl reason is the permiability of cytoplasmic membrane is not affected at such temp in those org,  obviously due to heat resi enzyme system

              further i believe that lipid material of such org is made of high chain satu or unsatu fatty acid that have higher boiling point to conventional org

              further it is also possible that the enzymes of such org are only active at higher temp, as the org may become dormant and even some are killed at temp below 40 c ( in case of true themophiles), may be due to heat, the chain confo changes and due to added allosteric effect on enzyme, the\y grow only at higher temp

              one org is reported to grow at 360 c  found below 1000 feet from bottom of ocean,, at too high pressure,  found in us, thogh these cases are rare, so v are lucky that they may not maake any problem top us

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • keyur kumar
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2006
                well friensds
                we don't have to bother for the org which grows at 121 c because these kind of org grwos only in the region around 120. which is encountered only for 20 min during sterilization  but is inactivated , dor\mant and even killed by low temp in some cases