Food Safety

  • Raghuveer Bandla
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi Foodees,

      What are the major concerns for food industry? They are plenty but I consider food safety and quality is the top most concern. They are lot of Food safety and safe practice programs which most of the industries follows like HACCP, SQF, BRC, IFS and so on.

      My Q is which among these are good. Are these programs can be implemented to all the food industries or for specific industries only. If yes, what is the major difference between each listed 4 programs? If no, what programs are best suited for what industries?

      Thanks and any input is greatly appreciated.

      Regards,
      Raghuveer Bandla
      MSc Food Science & Agricultural Chemistry
      McGill University
      Canada.
    • Ash Tank
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
        Hi Raghuveer,

        Certification bodies and standards enable you to make your process streamline and able to produce safe and quality goods from your work environment.

        The main aim of all these standards is Food Safety.

        HACCP can  be applied to any food processing area, however for BRC and other others there are different clauses which you can get an insight from the respective websites.

        We cannot comment which is best as it depends upon how sensitive is your product and where is targeted.

        Regards,
        Ashutosh Tank

        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Raghuveer Bandla <raghu_fpe@...> wrote:

        Hi Foodees,

        What are the major concerns for food industry? They are plenty but I consider food safety and quality is the top most concern. They are lot of Food safety and safe practice programs which most of the industries follows like HACCP, SQF, BRC, IFS and so on.

        My Q is which among these are good. Are these programs can be implemented to all the food industries or for specific industries only. If yes, what is the major difference between each listed 4 programs? If no, what programs are best suited for what industries?

        Thanks and any input is greatly appreciated.

        Regards,
        Raghuveer Bandla
        MSc Food Science & Agricultural Chemistry
        McGill University
        Canada.

      • Sundar_fpe
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
          Dear Mr. Raghuveer Bandla,

          Thank you for the mail and you have placed a nice topic for discussion.

          I hope among these standards BRC- V6 would be the best standard can be applicable to all Food Manufacturers/ Retailers/ Ingredient manufactures.

          As you know there are 8 major international retailers Carefour, Tesco, ICA, Metro, Ahold, Walmart & Delhaize approving the BRC Global Standard. !!

          I have one personal Q that is there any specific Food Safety Standard (GFSI approved) required to supply to Loblaws, Canada.?

          --

          H@ve A Nice D@y..:)

        • Raghuveer Bandla
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
            Hi,

            Thank for the input Ashutosh and Sundar. I am not sure what loblaws standard for there retail store maintenance, but for they products it vary some times they ask for SQF ( lvl varies too), BRC or ISO. In Canada, manufactures are preferring SQF, as it has huge management is involved in it. SQF is going be major standard demand soon in North American Market. For information about SQF please visit www.sqfi.com and check SQF codes (these are free compare to BRC standards). Interesting about SQF standards is they have proper Canning Operations manual involved in it.

            The major difference between all standards is HACCP is the risk assessment tools for foods safety. Where as IFS, BRC and SQF do include HACCP risk assessment tool but also focus on Quality Management and GMP's.

            To conclude all the standards are very good and they server the purpose. The standards to be selected will depends on Management team in the company as they have to invest lot of time and money to maintain it and also they customers demand (like walmart, target and so on).

[...]

          • hebbasursharath2005
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
              Dear Mr. Raghuveer Bandla,

              Greetings,

              With regards to your quiries in foodies on food safty standard,

              I would categorize as below,

              HACCP , GMP ,GCP certification : Basic requirement of standard to run any small setup food business,

              ISO 22000 Certification : ISO family food safety standard , many companies around the world has implement for food chain activities)

              ( Food chain : Farm land, primery producer /manufacturer , food processers/ food transporter , food retailers and restaurant)

              FSSC 22000, IFS ,SQF, BRC (FOOD) : All these 4 standards are GFSI (Global food safety initiative ) approved standard.

              BRC Iop : This is food packaging certification programme,

              If you could tell me your kind of business , I can tell you the standard suitable to that unit,

              Thanks and Regards

              H.S.Sharath Kumar
              FOOD SERVICES
              Lead Auditor

              Intertek India Pvt. Ltd.
              17/F, II Stage, Industrial Suburb,
              Yeshwanthpur Indl Area, Bangalore – 560022 India
              Telephone: +91-80-40213700
              Mobile : +91-9480191670
              sharath.kumar@...