Biofilm in Food Industry

  • raghuveer B
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2012
      Hi All,

      One of the major problem in food industry is food pathogens.

      Microbes are divided into two groups based on their growth phase: planktonic or sessile. Planktonic stage, microbes live as individual free floating organisms where as in sessile stage they are attached to the surface.  Microbes which are present in the sessile stage lead to formation of Biofilms.

      Exact definition "A slime layer formed by bacteria on a surface, which provides an environment for pathogens to proliferate" (FDA website).

      I am very much interested about this topic. I never heard about Biofilm before esp. in Food Industry. So I did some research and finally understood what is Biofilm but I still dont know what are the major problems that Food Industries are facing.

      In short : Please explain what are the major problems faced by Food Industry due to Biofilm.

      Thanks in advance, look for some valuable input.

      Regards,

      Raghuveer Bandla,
      MSc. Food Science & Agricultural Chemistry,
      McGill University.

    • A.Vigneshwaran *gk
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2012
        Hi  Raghuveer,
        You have indeed chosen an interesting topic of research.

        While the formation of biofilms by pathogenic or spoilage microorganisms may have a negative impact on food safety and quality, biofilm formation can also have beneficial applications in the food environment. Attachment of beneficial microbes to the host intestinal tissues or gut microbiota can improve the overall health of the gut microenvironment. While microbial resistance to extreme environmental conditions is considered problematic in sanitation, such features have great application in fermentation where the production yield can be significantly improved by culture immobilization via biofilm formation and such biofilm-producing cultures are able to withstand high acid and low oxygen environment often associated with batch fermentation.The animal gastrointestinal ecosystem is considered one of the most complicated biofilms in nature. It is evident that food intake has a major impact on the ecosystem formulation but our knowledge in this area still remains at the infant stage. Due to the availability of the population genetic tools and its significance in public health, this area is inevitably becoming a research focus for microbiologists and food scientists in the coming years. I hope an overviewof the human gut biofilms will help interested parties, particularly scientists new to the field to have a jump start in this fascinating research area. Biofilms in the food environment is still very much an emerging research area and the systems to be studied are complicated. In many cases, researchers are not just dealing with a pure bacterial culture, but rather consortia made up of a broad spectrum of organisms, i.e. food-borne pathogens, spoilage microbes, commensals, starters, and beneficial organisms. In addition, food processing and storage conditions, food ingredients, the host response, and immune system can all affect the behavior of these microorganisms. Therefore, a comprehensive knowledge of the food system, the microbiology, the host and environment, as well as the availability of cutting-edge research tools is amust for advancement in this field. The Probiotics, Prebiotics also comes into play in such areas of research when I mean by the term Biofilms.

        The formation of a biofilm can occur by one of three mechanisms: redistribution of attached cells by surface motility, binary division of attached cells, or the recruitment of cells from the bulk fluid to the developing biofilm.

        This is an interesting forum to be discussed and hence, hope you would be able to bring out some new inventions.

        Thank you.

        By
        A.Vigneshwaran
        IV B.Tech Food Process Engineering
        Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute,
        Tamil Nadu Agricultural University,
        Coimbatore
        9942068255
      • raghuveer B
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2012
          Hello Vigneshwaran,

          Thanks for some interesting input.

          In the Medical Sciences, Biofilm research is way to advance compare to food science, though they are still some loops in natural phenomenon of the human body (like gut as you have mentioned). Then major Q rises, why cant we bring that technologies to food science? What are the major issues?

          I have couple of points in my mind:

          1. Food industries are the major microbes favourable place as we have huge moisture, lot of food sources compare to Hospitals (they do have these but minimal)
          2. Detection : detecting the source of biofilm in food industry is major problem as we have huge amount of processing equipments.

          (please add more points, if you can find some)

          There is major befits by using biolims esp in waste water treatment plant. If biofilm is placed in in waste water it will use the other microbes and multiples. It also have major befits in food industries like sampling which Vigneshwaran had mentioned. Do they have any other befits too?

          Thanks

          Regards,

          Raghuveer Bandla,
          MSc. Food Science & Agricultural Chemistry,
          McGill University.

          P.S: Do you guys know bilofim also form on our teeth, so better brush twice in a day after getting up and before going to bed.  :P

          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2012
            Hi Foodees,

            The point of advancement in the medical field is that they have pioneered their required species of Bacterial family for very specific purposes of their own application.
            As in case of our food application, it must be confirmed very deep down inside. To be more precise, its not all the Lactic Acid Bacteria are beneficial, but  few are harmful. And even not all the Species of same kind are beneficial but it depends on their ability to act as beneficial has been encoded on their generic strands and codes.and thats the reason why our food environment faces troubles.

            The biofilm which we are intended to produce must be homogenous in all perspective starting from biological to enzymatic. Event though the chemical respondance to specific genera and specific biofilm may have different feedbacks from the environment of application, say human GIT. (examples of Shigella spp.)

            Thank you

            By
            A.Vigneshwaran
            IV B.Tech Food Process Engineering