What is Plagiarism?

  • Anant Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hi All,

      I was wondering if we should initiate a discussion on Plagiarism.

      Many of the members of the group are at very senior posts both in academics and in industry. I request all my teachers, seniors and everyone high up to share their thoughts on this topic.

      How and why is it important in industry?

      Why is it relevant to students like us?

      what is acceptable?

      Have you come across anything to stop or avoid plagiarism during your work?

      What is the best way to tackle Plagiarism?

      For all those who need more information on this topic please visit the following link from wikipedia.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

      I request all the members which include my juniors, seniors and teachers to share their thoughts for spreading awareness on this topic.

      Regards,
      Anant

    • raghuveer B
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2011

        Hi All,

        Anant! this is an very important topic to consider. As far as Industry is considered, I am not sure about it but Academia I can help with

        1. What is Plagiarism

        The action or practice of plagiarizing; the wrongful appropriation or purloining, and  publication as one's own,of the ideas, or the expression of ideas (literary, artistic, musical, mechanical, etc.) of another. ( I took the meaning from Oxford dictionary. So am I considered as plagiarism? Yes it is. The right way of right this is)

        The action or practice of plagiarizing; the wrongful appropriation or purloining, and  publication as one's own,of the ideas, or the expression of ideas (literary, artistic, musical, mechanical, etc.) of another" ( The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed. 1989. OED online. Oxford University Press. 11 Aug. 2005 http://oed.com/public/redirect/welcome-to-the-new-oed-online. )

        This is the right way of witting it. This means if you are taking idea from someone or some source (web site, book or anywhere else) you have to mention the source of info.

        2. what is acceptable?

        I am not sure, But according to my knowledge 15% of your entire report is acceptable.

        So, next Q comes is how can we estimate we reached 15%?

        There is software called "Viper". It will give you exact % of your report. (I got this information from my prof. )
        Here is the link of that software plz give a check http://www.scanmyessay.com/ (WEB PAGE IS VIRUS FREE, BUT IF YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT DO IT AT YOUR RISK)

        3. Have you come across anything to stop or avoid plagiarism during your work?

        Before attending my Classes in my University, they gave huge lecture on "Plagiarism". I was literally no idea what they were talking about. On each course I attended we were warned by each and every prof. about it. Well, I still ignored it but as soon as I submitted my Assignment (2 page short report); I got strict warning about the plagiarism.
        I was lucky my prof. just gave me warning and told me to resubmit the report, but one of my friend's prof. gave complaint on him to University and university filled a complaint on him and he went to court to apologize for what he did. (It was really scary, he was not allowed to attend the classes until he got clearance from the court)

        4. What is the best way to tackle Plagiarism?

        Here is the link plz check it out (there explained it in much better way, than I do)

        I hope this is helpful, feel free to add up some points. Thanks

        Regards,
        Raghuveer Bandla
        MSc. Food Science & Agricultural Chemistry
        McGill University
        Canada

        I was wondering if we should initiate a discussion on Plagiarism.

        Many of the members of the group are at very senior posts both in academics and in industry. I request all my teachers, seniors and everyone high up to share their thoughts on this topic.

        How and why is it important in industry?

        Why is it relevant to students like us?

        what is acceptable?

        Have you come across anything to stop or avoid plagiarism during your work?

        What is the best way to tackle Plagiarism?

        For all those who need more information on this topic please visit the following link from wikipedia.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

        I request all the members which include my juniors, seniors and teachers to share their thoughts for spreading awareness on this topic.

        Regards,
        Anant

      • Karthi Food Processing
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2011
          Hi raghu,
                        Its really great to have your text in simple manner.

          Thanx

          Regards

          N.KARTHIKEYAN
          B.Tech-Food Process Engineering
          TNAU - 2002-2006

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2011
            Hi,

            Plagiarism is using the exact text and figures used in other author's work. If you want to use the exact text, put it in inverted quotes and reference it. Otherwise, read the text and summarize in your own words but it is always safe to reference it. Even though Viper is a good option to check plagiarism, Turnitin is widely used to check plagiarism. But it is not possible to check the plagiarism in your work through Turnitin because the next time you upload you work in turnitin to check, it will show 100% plagiarism. This is because Turnitin's database scans world wide web, articles and previously scanned turnitin documents.

            Hope this is useful for all.

            Regards,
            GABRIELA
            MSc Food Quality and Innovation
            University of Leeds, UK
            Keep Smiling
            Its the best advertisement of GOD
            IT MAKES PEOPLE WONDER WHAT YOU HAVE GOT
          • Anant Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2011
              Hi All,

              Thanks for sharing the information on plagiarism. What steps are your universities taking for preventing plagiarism at their campuses? Is anyone aware about any such measures in India, Philippines, Australia, US?

              What are the consequences for committing plagiarism?

              Thanks again for spreading awareness about this usually ignored very important aspect of any document work. I request all of you guys to help spread awareness about this.

              Regards,
              Anant

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 2011

                DEAR  FOODEES,

                COULD ANY ONE TELL ME THE SAMPLING PLAN REGARDING GHERKIN PICKLE PRODUCTION .SINCE I AM NEW TO THIS FIELD I AM NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE SAMPLING PLAN BASED ON PRODUCTION QUANTITY.PLS GIVE ME THE STANDARD  SAMPLING PLAN .
                NOTE:GHERKIN PICKLE IN 720ML GLASS BOTTLE

                ADVANCE HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. MAY THIS YEAR (2012) FULFILL YOUR ALL NEEDS.

                REGARDS,
                YASODHALOGANATHAN

              • Irshaan Syed
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2011
                Dear Yashoda Madam,

                Greetings !!!

                Kindly find the attachment (e-Books) Codex standard and Sampling along with this mail for your ready reference.
                Thank you.

                With Best Regards

                Irshaan Syed,
                M.Tech (Food Engineering & Technology,2011-13), SLIET (PB)
                B.Tech (Food Processing and Engineering,2006-10), Karunya University(TN)