Re: [foodees] Pasteurization timings

  • deepak jain
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      Dear Ashutosh,

      Thanks for the answer.
      one more thing i want to ask can we lock that specific flow setting by PLC so that only authorize person can change it.

      Regards,

      Deepak

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        Yes Off course we can, but that purely depends upon the type of PLC as well as the HMI (Human Machine Interface) Panel. Like in some case we need to change the setting even though everything is calibrated and set priorly. Say for example while mixing the dough the water quantity is fixed but when a flour lot of varying protein content has to be run, then there has to be changes done. But in common they are set at the time of PLC installation where experts need to be called to change the whole set up as well as the default measurement required.

        Generally the HMI at every machine contains a password or say to change any default setting we need to input some code which is priorly given at the time of set up. Such codes can be changed as per your query.

        In cases of large flow, one can use complex and more precise flow sensors provided that the cost of inventory is not affected. But for small units I personally feel it is waste of capital, however it also depends upon the value of the product. As one can clearly differentiate an essential oil extract or blend and a soft drink beverage.

        Regrads,

        Ashutosh Tank

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi Deepak and Ashutosh,
          Good to hear from you guys.... well it is an interesting discussion.... I do agree that to keep the flow and hence the holding time constant, however consider the following practical problem!

          We have 60000 litres of milk and the pasteuriser pump has a breakdown and we do not have a pump of matching capacity in the factory! Now since the HACCP studies have been done on the pasteuriser with a different pump, how do we assure food safety of the product? What could be an acceptable solution?

          Good luck,
          Regards,
          Anant

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
            Hi Deepak,

               For all flow meters and Motors linked with PLC- Can be Interlocked with authorization. Check ur manual for interlock setting, B'cos it varies with brands.

            Regards,

            A.Augustine,

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
              Hey Anant,
                              to assure food safety, you can check temperature manually at RTD junctions on lines.and similerly manually observe the time as well.

              Thanks and regards,
              Gautam Bhut (+919974589758)

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
                  you have the rotameter like device, may be digital. You know the flow rate,u can set the holding time. Afterall holing is the circulation between two valves.

                  Thanks and regards,
                  Gautam Bhut (+919974589758)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
                    Dear Anant Sir,

                    I agree that the HACCP is done using the condition with the default equipments at the time of setup. But Sir the ultimate play is the hold time with the correct volume which is in the form of Flow rate when we are considering online and continuous flow type.

                    However the residence time and the Flow rate are inversely propotional to each other at constant temperature. But in practical it is not much feasible and applicable.

                    You can say for a rough thumb rule that if the flow rate reduces to a very small deflecation with the actual values the residences time need to be more for the same temperature conditions.

                    Regards,
                    Ashutosh

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
                      I agree with my friend Ashutosh about the flow rate. During my acadamics' industrial training, we faced a problem with Sterillizer. The product is Tomato paste.It was an aseptic section, the product is packed in aseptic conditions.Still the Puffing was found.
                                             We manually checked 6 stations of RTD on sterillizer by circulating water.It also to be noted that RTD calibration should be done once in a year.
                      However, we found the temperature changes on 2 stations.

                      Thanks and regards,
                      Gautam Bhut (+919974589758)