Re: [foodees] Cow Milk with SMP: Can it still be still sold as cow milk?

  • reachkeyur@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2010
      Dear Anant,

      In India, any milk to be sold as cow milk has to have a minimum of 3.5 % fat and 8.5% SNF (except in few states such as punjab, haryana and chandigarh, where fat% is 4.0). So if milk is offered for sale with these parameters, it would fall under the class of cow milk.

      Mixing of cow milk and buffalo milk can be differentiated using 'Hansa test'.

      Warm regards

      Keyur

      Sent from my BlackBerry® on Reliance Mobile, India's No. 1 Network. Go for it!

      From: Anant Dave <swaraj177@...>
      Sender: foodees@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:23:42 -0800 (PST)
      To: <foodees@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: foodees@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [foodees] Cow Milk with SMP: Can it still be still sold as cow milk?

      Hi All,
      Have an interesting query from one of the other on line forums:

      If SMP (source may be mixed milk) is added to cow milk to adjust the MSNF of milk then the milk which is obtained consider as cow milk and can it sold as cow milk????

      Secondly, How do you differentiate between cow and buffalo milk? what tests are available?

      Regards,
      Anant

    • manimaran mani
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2010
      Please find the attachment.
      Regards,
      C.Manimaran.

      Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2010
        Hi everyone,

        can anyone plz tell me what are the test for dietry fiber.
        thanks

        REGARDS
        MUHAMMAD ADIL SHAH

      • sumathi subbarayalu
        Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi Anant
          your question regarding addition of SMP to cows milk is true. industry add SMP to milk during winter season to adjust solid content of the milk since solid content of the raw milk goes down and inorder to maitain uniformity they add. it is not a crime they add onlu SMP not urea. Ya we can differeniate cow milk and buffalo milk by simple test. The presence of buffalo milk in cow milk is tested by Hansa test. It is based on immunological assay. One ml of milk is diluted with 4 ml of water and then it is treated with 1 ml of antiserum. The characteristic precipitation reaction indicates the presence of buffalo milk in the sample taken.

        • Akshay Telang
          Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
            hi all,

            PFA (rule 5, A.11.01.11) has clear differentiation betwn cow n buffalo milk in terms of fat and protein content..

             by mixing SMP in milk u may increase MSNF but what abt fat content to meet stds of cow or buffalo milk? if u think of adding milk fat (ghee?) it ll never be economically feasible !!

            plus the very defn of milk (A.11.01.01) states "....without either addition thereto or extraction therefrom." - i think "cow milk" and "buffalo milk" must comply this

            thanks n regards
            akshay telang

          • Anant
            Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
              Hi all,
              Thanks for all your replies... It is interesting to note that there are tests available for detection of other milks. It would be great to know the principle of Hansa test... What forms the basis for differentiation of the milk from cow or buffalo?

              Hi Akshay,
              I agree we would not mix buffalo milk in cow milk and also to the fact that there are no standards laid down except fat and snf to differentiate between the two milks. But the question here is..... Dairy factories could charge a premium selling cow's milk yet use skimmed milk from buffalo for standardisation or use SMP from mixed milk or buffalo milk for similar purposes... In such a situation is it still technically correct to sell the product as cow's milk? I

              For the interest of others only approximately 30% of total milk sold in India is cow milk and most of this is mixed with buffalo milk which makes up the rest of the 70%. Cow milk is superior as compared to buffalo milk for infants and hence pure cow milk is often a premium product in India.

              Thanks for all the responses again, I look forward to hear from you guys again.
              Regards,
              Anant

              On 5/12/2010, at 2:19 AM, Akshay Telang <akshu4u@...> wrote:

              hi all,

              PFA (rule 5, A.11.01.11) has clear differentiation betwn cow n buffalo milk in terms of fat and protein content..

               by mixing SMP in milk u may increase MSNF but what abt fat content to meet stds of cow or buffalo milk? if u think of adding milk fat (ghee?) it ll never be economically feasible !!

              plus the very defn of milk (A.11.01.01) states "....without either addition thereto or extraction therefrom." - i think "cow milk" and "buffalo milk" must comply this

              thanks n regards
              akshay telang

            • babu chinnasamy
              Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2010
                Hi Foodees,
                To my knowledge, pasteurized milk sold in India is mixed milk ( Cow milk and Buffalo milk pooled at the milk collection center) where in the SNF and fat % are standardized in the processing plant. When persons require Cow /Buffalo milk separately, they purchase them at the milk collection centers!  Do we get pasteurized Cow milk and Buffalo milk? Do let us know the brand/s that sell pasteurized Cow milk and Buffalo milk. Thank you.

                Babu Chinnasamy
                Graduate Student,
                Iowa State University, Ames. U.S.

                On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Anant <swaraj177@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Krish Srikanth
                Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                  Which comapnies in India sell packed Cow milk declaring it as 100% cow milk?
                  I've only seen retail milk sold as standardised pasteurised milk.

                  Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2010
                    Yes. Pasteurized cow milk is being sold by many brands across India. To name a few, SUMUL brand in surat, gujarat, Mamta brand in allahabad, UP and Sudha brand in Bihar. The fat and SNF % being in line with PFA.

                    Pasteurized buffalo milk is sold as Full cream milk. Again PFA rules are also applicable here.

                      Message 11 of 13 , Dec 10, 2010
                        whats is the std of full cream milk in other countries or what does the meaning of full cream milk there?

                        Rgds
                        Jomy Abraham

                        Message 12 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
                          Baroda Dist coop milk producers union ltd, Baroda, Kaira Dist coop milk producers union ltd and many other unions in Gujarat are selling pure cow milk in pouches.

                          FYI pl.

                          Regards

                          Sent from my BlackBerry® on Reliance Mobile, India's No. 1 Network. Go for it!