What can restaurant patrons do to evaluate food safety

  • Khan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2010
      Dear list members: For your comments, thanks much.

      What can restaurant patrons do to evaluate food safety?

      Here are some practical things a consumer can do to evaluate food safety in restaurants:

      Records

      In Florida, ask to see the latest inspection report. File a complaint if not provided to you, its the law. Look at critical violations, all are potential risk factors for FBI- ask if they are corrected.

      Bathrooms

      Bathrooms may or may not indicate the safety of food handling in the kitchen but a excessively soiled bathrooms are a danger sign. Also:

      No paper towels, soap or broken sinks and fixtures

      No warm water at sink ( not always required unless employees use the sink, they may have their own bathroom)

      No cleaning schedule posted or not up to date

      No mandatory employee hand wash sign

      No covered waste receptacle in ladies room

      Food Temperature

      Hot foods served to you must be hot. Reject any lukewarm foods, especially foods prepared in bulk such as soups, gravies, rice, cooked vegetables.

      Cold foods like prepared salads and sandwiches must be cold.

      Proper cooking

      All cooked foods, thoroughly cooked. Reject any undercooked foods especially fish, hamburgers, pork and chicken. Color is deceptive but red blood is definitely a sign of under cooking of meat. Rare steaks and roasts may be ordered per consumer request. Look for warning signs about undercooked foods on the menu, language must be readable. Look for consumer warnings where raw shellfish served

      Foreign objects

      Excessive jewelry on food workers you can see and on waitresses. Employees without hair restraints of some type, especially production personnel if you can see them.

      Hygiene

      Workers with soiled aprons, workers in the bathroom still wearing gloves (yes it happens) aprons must be removed first, obviously.

      Employees who do not wash their hands between orders and tasks if they are directly contacting your food. Excessive sneezing, coughing of any food related personnel.

      Workers who handle foods excessively without using gloves

      Food Protection during storage display and service

      Failure to provide sneeze guards, proper utensils with handles out of product and covers for food in self service areas. Self service to be posted with “use a new plate for refills” sign

      Recycled relish trays

      Open bread bags and foods in containers that customer must reach into with bare hands

      Ice that customers scoop themselves.

      Any open unprotected displayed foods

      Any protein rich foods stored or displayed without temperature controls, especially Calzones, Stromboli, and even pizza.

      Self serve cans and bottles or other food containers in un-drained ice (very common in convenience stores)

      Pest control

      Flies in production, dining or serving areas

      Any roaches seen, or any crawling inspects including ants

      Any rodents seen (file complaint with agency)

      Waste Management

      Water leaking through the parking lot from dumpster or compactors

      Excessive odors near dumpsters

      Over flowing trash at dumpster

      Evidence of mop water disposed in parking lot

      This checklist can be used by consumers. Let them know if they use this to send me email reports of the restaurant, name and location etc., I will post to my website. Consumers are an under utilized means to create pressure for food safety at this level.

      Lets make inspectors out of consumers!

    • Khan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2010
        Hi All

        Plz give me some knowledge about the processing and production of margarine. What are the problems that occur during its processing.

        Hope to get positive reply..

      • sowmya p
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17, 2010
          thanks for ur information sir.. kindly say mailid

          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2010
            Dear all,

            As Vinod sir said the company is well established. And one more thing is that I didn't get any CVs with min 2 years experience in the same field such as Veg and Fruit processing, brine preparation etc, so kindly send ur CV to ma email id those who r interested asap.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 20, 2010
              here u go for the email id. the application should be addressed to Mr. Srikanth, Director.
              sgrfoods@...
              ganeshram@...