Quiz 14 - September 23, 2005 - Answer

  • Anand S. Subramanian
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Many of you were right about the background of gluten. However, some of
      you were wrong in answering the second part of the question.

      If you google "gluten content of flour" you should be able to find tons
      of websites that discuss the gluten content of flour and its effect on
      various products.

      In essence,
      Gluten is not inherently present in wheat flour. It is formed only when
      water is added to the flour. Water reacts with the glutenins to form
      gluten.

      A flour with high gluten (12-14%) is good for making bread. High gluten
      is required to provide a strong elastic structure to hold the
      carbondioxide produced during proofing (fermentation). It also
      contributes to the structure.

      In biscuit/cookies, there is little or no proofing (the dough doesnt
      rise). Hence, gluten's role is to provide structure alone (no gas
      holding). Higher gluten content may result in a hard biscuit while
      lesser gluten content may result in chewy texture. Normally a flour with
      8 to 10% gluten is used for biscuits.

      Cake flour has a greater percentage of starch and less protein, which
      keeps cakes and pastries tender and delicate. Protein varies from 7 to 9 %.

      vineet saboo wrote:

      > *Gluten is the functional protein of wheat flour.It has an important
      > property that when it is moistened and worked by mechanical action ,
      > it forms an elastic dough. It does this by forming linkages between
      > protein molecules.These linkages form a 3-Dimensional structure which
      > provides strength to the dough.The longer the dough is worked, the
      > more linkages are formed.This is the reason that dough is kneaded when
      > a strong structure is required.**Also on exposureto heat the Gluten
      > coagulates and forms a semi-rigid structure.*
      >
      > **
      >
      > *I think that Biscuit flour contains higher gluten content*
      >

      > *Vineet Saboo*
      > *B.Tech (FPE)*
      > *S.R.M Engg. College
      >
      > *
      > **
      > */"Anand S. Subramanian" <anandss@...>/* wrote:
      >
      > Why is gluten important in baking? Which one of the following needs a
      > flour with higher gluten content: Biscuit or Bread?

      > Food process
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Food+process&w1=Food+science&w2=Food+process&w3=Science+technology&c=3&s=60&.sig=GEPo-AQ9bXFpbUVXP_tIJw>
      > Science technology
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+technology&w1=Food+science&w2=Food+process&w3=Science+technology&c=3&s=60&.sig=wsLD30t_Q8x1rA_8Kk7r_Q>