Botanical Name for Common varieties Fruits

  • shalini ravi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 2:25 AM
      Hi foodees,

      Mango has many vaarieties like Alphonsa, Banganpalli, Bangalora etc... Whether botanical name is different for different species.. Commonly we use mango botanical name as Mangifera indica.. Whether same can be used for all varieties....

      Do give reply to this question to clear my doubts.

      With regards,
      R.Shalini,
      MS(by Research),
      Anna University,
      Chennai.

    • Samya Roy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 2:45 AM
        hi shalni,
        i have seen your question. as per my view, the scientific name has been decided for a type of fruit not the individual variant. it is not possible to make a nomenclature for each variants for all fruits. in fact it is arduous to get the name of all variants available in world.
        i hope i m able to gv ur answer.
        regards,
        S.ROY

        Mango has many vaarieties like Alphonsa, Banganpalli, Bangalora etc... Whether botanical name is different for different species.. Commonly we use mango botanical name as Mangifera indica.. Whether same can be used for all varieties... .

        Do give reply to this question to clear my doubts.

        With regards,
        R.Shalini,
        MS(by Research),
        Anna University,
        Chennai.

        Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
      • ajay kumar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 4:26 AM
          Dear Samya, Shalini & all......

          well that was a quite obvious doubt that can exist in mind of people who never had Botany as a subject............. well well dear all first thing the names mentioned as mango varieties are not truly variety in a strict botanical sense.......... but they are cultivar....

          and about scientific name i am sorry to say it constitutes only 2 parts genus and species and varieties are often express as var  after the genus and species name ............ please try to understand what a genus means it means origin... mango and cashew nut are very close as they belong to same family Anacardiaceae but they have different genus name and in a genus there are various other species Ex. Ficus sp....

          1. Ficus religiosa : pipal tree
          2. Ficus Bengalensis: banyan tree
          3. Ficus elsatica: Rubber tree
          4. Ficus repens: a ornamental climber
          now u all can understand the difference between a cultivar and species..........
          have a happy botanical mail...

          cheers
          Ajay Singh
          MSc (CFTRI-2005-07)