Re: Re: [foodees] Allergen control

  • Manju Nagpal
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008

      Dear Sir,

      Many thanks for your valuable information.

      How do we evaluate these by HACCP.

      Can we estimate this putting HACCP.

      Need help on this.

      Regards,

      Manju

      On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 anant dave wrote :

> [...]
      >Codex lists only the allergens with an exception of sulphites.
      >  Allergenicity is a disorder which can varry from individual to individual, age of individual an various other factors.
      >  We have had a lot of discussion previously on Allergens in HACCP & Food safety. The best way as u said we can go for ingredient declaration if at all there is an allergenic ingredient.
      >However there are shances that the allergen may be transffered in trace amounts due to various reasons such as poor cleaning, poor handling etc. In such circumstances come companies opt for precautionary labeling. Best example of such products would be Nestle's Healthy soups available in India.
      >these carry an allergen note saying " MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF ........"
      >  these are two ways in which we can control risk to food safety with respect to Allergens,
      >regards,
      >Anant
      >

      >renu uma <renu_fpe@...> wrote:
      >            Thanks Varinder.
      >
      >  i have some more doubt regarding this. In our case, the product is curry powder. In this product mustard which is used as an ingredient is declared as allegen. Here how we can detect the limit of this mustard in next product?
      >
      >  Regards,
      >  Renu.
      >
      >varinder dhindsa <bindudhindsa@...> wrote:
      >        Hello Renu ,
      >  it seems like you already mentioned possible ways to control allergen..Ofcourse best way is to declare it on label. another possible ways as u mentioned earlier which i m practicing at my company is to check amount of carry over of allergan to next production. we just trying to make sure that any allergran should not cross limit of >5ppm in next product. sorry these are canadian standards but i m not sure about indian standards.
      >  Hope it helps...
      >Varinder Dhindsa
      >  QA technologist/Microbniologist
      >  JD sweid foods ltd
      >  BC, canada
      >
      >  On 3/10/08, renu uma <renu_fpe@...> wrote:              Hi friends,
      >
      >  I have some doubt regarding allergen control in food industries. The one way to control allergen is not allowing the allergic products to minkle with non allergic ones. Suppose if any of the allergen itself is an ingredient of our product, what are the procedures we have to follow? For example, in spices processing, mustard is an ingredient for the manufacture of mixed spice powder. What are the ways we have to follow other than declaration?
      >
      >  Thanks & Regards,
      >  Renu.
      >
      >---------------------------------
      >  Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

      >---------------------------------
      >  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
      >

      >---------------------------------
      >Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

      Manju Nagpal

      Shaadi Partner
    • anant dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear Manju,
        As I said a lot has been already discussed with respect to allergens in HACCP.
        Just to summarize, Allergens do not fall in any class of hazards hence they need to be considard seperately.

        Thus there can be seperate class of hazards in addition to the conventional three (physical, chemical, microbial). The factory needs to validate the cleaning procedures. The validation procedures may include detecting the allergens if present in swabs after CIP of equipments by ELISA or any protein specific methods.

        You can moniter continously 3 samples of swabs for allergen traces to decide the effeciency of your cleaning procedure.

        I would be glad to clarify more doubts, if any, in this regard,

        I look fwd to comments on the same from others,
        regards,
        Anant

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008

          Dear Sir,

          Many thanks sir.

          We have to implement allegen testing in our factory which is at a time dealing with 50 diffrent products running in our factory.

          At the same time our suppier from US is insisting on risk assesment on allergens by implementing HACCP System.

          We already have HACCP System in place but that does not include Allergens. We do only the 'May contin labelling"

          Do we need to study allergens seperately in HACCP plan as the steps involved in the process can be many.

          e.g. these can come in the product if cleaning is not proper, or through cross contamination by utensils, knives, chopping boards, may be personnel handling(canteen contamination, handling allergen product like wheat)
          Do we need to consider all these points as a part of process flow in HACCP and then asses the risk.

          Or we can do as a part of existing HACCP, but the existing one is not too exhaustive.

          Also, if we can do the product wise planning depending on allergens. One type of allergen in one day. Or next product run containing same allergen.

          Also, if you can help us in analysis of Allergens.

          Will be rapid testing kits enough for checking them.

          Would appreciate your reply on this.

          Regrads,

          Manju Nagpal

          On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 anant dave wrote :

          >Dear Manju,
          >  As I said a lot has been already discussed with respect to allergens in HACCP.
          >  Just to summarize, Allergens do not fall in any class of hazards hence they need to be considard seperately.
          >
          >  Thus there can be seperate class of hazards in addition to the conventional three (physical, chemical, microbial). The factory needs to validate the cleaning procedures. The validation procedures may include detecting the allergens if present in swabs after CIP of equipments by ELISA or any protein specific methods.
          >
          >  You can moniter continously 3 samples of swabs for allergen traces to decide the effeciency of your cleaning procedure.
          >
          >  I would be glad to clarify more doubts, if any, in this regard,
          >
          >  I look fwd to comments on the same from others,
          >  regards,
          >  Anant
          >Manju Nagpal <manjunagpal12@...> wrote:
          >            Dear Sir,
          >
          >Many thanks for your valuable information.
          >
          >How do we evaluate these by HACCP.
          >
          >Can we estimate this putting HACCP.
          >
          >Need help on this.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Manju
          >
          >On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 anant dave wrote :
          > >Dear Renu and Varinder,
          > >  good to follow your discussion.
          > >  well as far as i know there are no guidelines to the limits of any allergens that should be present in the food matrices from Codex.
          > >Codex lists only the allergens with an exception of sulphites.
          > >  Allergenicity is a disorder which can varry from individual to individual, age of individual an various other factors.
          > >  We have had a lot of discussion previously on Allergens in HACCP & Food safety. The best way as u said we can go for ingredient decl

          Regards,
          Manju Nagpal

          TJ
        • Manju Nagpal
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008

> [...]

            > >  Thanks & Regards,
            > >  Renu.
            > >
            > >---------------------------------
            > >  Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

            > >---------------------------------
            > >  Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
            > >

            > >---------------------------------
            > >Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
            >
            >Regards,
            >Manju Nagpal
            >

            >---------------------------------
            >No Cost - Get a month of Blockbuster Total Access now. Sweet deal for Yahoo! users and friends.

            Regards,
            Manju Nagpal

            TJ
          • anant dave
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
              Dear Manju,
              I understand there would be a lot of ingredients used in your factory, however i still cannot comment on the allergen handling specific to you as i do not know what exactly is your product matrix in all.

              However the following should definately give you some leads....

              1) Have a clear Allergen control program in its place at RM handling. This would include seggregation of allergenic ingredients seperately from non allergens to avoid any risk of use by mistake of such ingredients. Moreover identify the allergens and label them more clearly by colour coding if poossible to further ensure better control.

              2) Well you would have to validate your cleaning procedures for allergens. As i said in my previous mail you can give samples of swabs for analysis of specific allergens. You can get more information on testing and the quotations from some good labs like SGS.

              3) There is no single test for all allergens, just fyi all allergens are protein in nature and you'll need to decide what allergens need to be look in to for analysis.

              4) However the better control for allergens would be to plan your production carefully.

              5) The last resort would be to go for precautionary labeling as you said. Having said that i can tell you that sometimes it can become really serious for instance if go for precautionary labeling of eggs and egg proteins on any product, you would cut down the acceptability of your product as vegetarians would find it unacceptable.

                                  However a declaration of nuts/almonds as precaution for allergens can infact at times improve the image of the product as consumers may think it contains nuts. this is perticularly true for Indian markets.

              6) Consider the allergens as hazards at each and every step of production and handling.

              I believe that would give you a fair idea as to what to do further. Do let us know how you are doing it, if at all it is ok with you.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7, 2008

                Dear Sir,

                Many thanks for such valuable inputs.

                We were some where thiking in this direction, but your points hve given us a very fair idea to how to proceed step by step.

                I know this is not a simple excercise.

                We have asked for allergen testing rapid kits. But cost is an issue in that.

                We are looking towards production planning also.

                We have not started yet. but once we will start off we will have more problems to handle.

                And I am sure FOODES ARE THERE TO HELP US.

                THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

                Regards,

                Manju Nagpal

                Kohinoor Foods Limited