storage temperature of fruits

  • indu mathi
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
      Friends
      I m A.Imayakumari doing my M.Tech in Food and Agricultural Process Engg.
      At present,I have started my research work, aiming at the shelf life extension of apples through Gamma Irradiation..I had varied the dosage level from 0.25 -1kGy...with 2 storage conditions( ambient and refrigerated)

      My problem is that the fruits stored at refrigerated conditions were spoiled after a week..whereas the fruits stored at ambient condition is still fresh.

      The packaging material was carton boxes with 2 holes on opposite sides

      Further it was very hard when i took out from the refrigerator.After thawng the condition was just reverse with shrinkage...

      What may be actual reason behind this?

      -Imayakumari

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Oscar Iguchi
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
        The best temperatures for apple storage are between -1 and 1ºC (depending on the varieties) (BRACKMAN et al)

        I believe that you froze the apples, what is wrong, because you damaged the fruit tissues when the ice crystals were formed inside cells.
        Cold chambers are usually a dry environment, with low relative humidity, so  you  will probably lose weight when storing fruits and vegetables without impermeable packages, like polyethylene.

        According to BRACKMAN et al, the best storage condition for apple (variety "gala") is -0,5ºC, O2 partial pressure at 1,0 and 1,5kPa and CO2 partial pressure at 2,0kPa.

        His non-iradiated fruits were stored for 8 months.

        BRACKMAN et al (brazilian authors): http://www.ufpel.tche.br/faem/agrociencia/v11n4/artigo20.pdf

        Regards,

        Oscar

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
          Sir/madam
          yes,ur assumption is right...but the fruits were stored at 0 degree C....i need to get clarified with ur point,further...THE FRUITS which we store in the refrigerator at homes do not froze at this condition.We can have it for a week or more....

          When does the fruit starts freezing?at what Temperature?

          2007/11/3, indu mathi <indu852000@yahoo. com>:
          Friends
          I m A.Imayakumari doing my M.Tech in Food and Agricultural Process Engg.
          At present,I have started my research work, aiming at the shelf life extension of apples through Gamma Irradiation. .I had varied the dosage level from 0.25 -1kGy...with 2 storage conditions( ambient and refrigerated)

          My problem is that the fruits stored at refrigerated conditions were spoiled after a week..whereas the fruits stored at ambient condition is still fresh.

          The packaging material was carton boxes with 2 holes on opposite sides

          Further it was very hard when i took out from the refrigerator. After thawng the condition was just reverse with shrinkage...

          What may be actual reason behind this?

          -Imayakumari

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • pankaj jha
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
            Dear Imayakumari,

            may i know the basic idea which lead you to use gamma irradiation for prolonging shelf life of apple. As I also did my project using gamma irradiation to inactivate lipase enzyme.

            What are the condition of storage when u say refrigerated condition, is it at 0 deg celcius, or in a refrigerater, as the normal temp. in a refri is about 4-7 deg C.

            In fruits and vegetables they donot froze, it is water only, and its freezing temp  is below 4 deg C, also it depend on the other constituent, moisture content, water activity, etc.

            I may give u some more ideas which wil be useful to u, after i get more information.

            Regards,
            Pankaj Kumar Jha
            09968243472

            Oscar Iguchi <oscar.iguchi@ gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

            Chat on a cool, new interface. No download required. Click here.

          • indu mathi
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
              Sir

              Let me thank u for ur reply..

              As in ur case,the radiation inactivates the enzyme,here the microorganism that leads to spoilage are killed by the Gamma irradiation.....when the microbiological count was examined,i could find 2 log reduction of fungal count and reduction in bacteria and mold count....this is the main advantage of cold pastuerisation/irradiation ie,without any remarkable change in the biological components(or chemical),thr treatment can prolong the shelf life of foods...

              the dosage differs for specific fruits..when i reviewed one of the articles regarding irradiation of strawberries,the optimum dosage was 4 kGy...but in case of apple,the dosage was optimum at 1 kGy...

              further my refrigerated temperature was 0 deg C

              Yah,The water molecule in the food gets frozen,

              The water activity of apple is 0.994..

              May i know,on what product ur gamma treatment was carried out to inactivate the lipase enzyme?