The ease and beauty of drawing in Fontographer

  • grylonergan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
      I haven't used Fontographer in years but yesterday I opened an old font file in
      Fontographer 4 in Classic and did some drawing. Compared to illustrator and Fontlab its
      so intuitive and easy. Click for first point, click again (and drag if you want bezier handles)
      Apple M to merge points. Shift apple O to remove overlap (have you tried this in Fontlab)

      Most of you will know this but Fog needs now to

      1 be able to generate Open type fonts

      2 Have a proper screen render

      3 Have the ability to import pencil sketches at high resolution

      having said all that Matthew Carter still uses Fontographer 3.5
      and prefers to spend his money on a top range laser printer apparently
    • Fox Creek Printing
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
        Fontographer is gone. FontLab ate it up.

        --- grylonergan <gary.lonergan@...> wrote:

        > I haven't used Fontographer in years but yesterday I
        > opened an old font file in
        > Fontographer 4 in Classic and did some drawing.
        > Compared to illustrator and Fontlab its
        > so intuitive and easy. Click for first point, click
        > again (and drag if you want bezier handles)
        > Apple M to merge points. Shift apple O to remove
        > overlap (have you tried this in Fontlab)
        >
        > Most of you will know this but Fog needs now to
        >
        > 1 be able to generate Open type fonts
        >
        > 2 Have a proper screen render
        >
        > 3 Have the ability to import pencil sketches at
        > high resolution
        >
        > having said all that Matthew Carter still uses
        > Fontographer 3.5
        > and prefers to spend his money on a top range laser
        > printer apparently

        p: 864-233-8646
        www.foxcreekprinting.com
      • Michael Everson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
          On 14 Jan 2009, at 14:40, Fox Creek Printing wrote:
          > Fontographer is gone. FontLab ate it up.

          Not at all true! FontLab bought it. And they've made an update
          available (for Mac anyway) and I use it all the time. I agree with
          Gary... Fontographer's drawing tools are excellent.

          I also use FontLab, to process the fonts, and sometimes for minor
          kinds of editing. But for major drawing, Fontographer's my mainstay.

        • Fox Creek Printing
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2009
            I've got FontLab--it's great, but Fontographer doesn't
            really exist, right? So there won't be improvements to
            that software--I thought that was the email's list of
            things needed (like making OpenType).

            --- Michael Everson <everson@...> wrote:

            > On 14 Jan 2009, at 14:40, Fox Creek Printing wrote:
            > > Fontographer is gone. FontLab ate it up.
            > >
            > Not at all true! FontLab bought it. And they've made
            > an update
            > available (for Mac anyway) and I use it all the
            > time. I agree with
            > Gary... Fontographer's drawing tools are excellent.
            >
            > I also use FontLab, to process the fonts, and
            > sometimes for minor
            > kinds of editing. But for major drawing,
            > Fontographer's my mainstay.

            p: 864-233-8646
            www.foxcreekprinting.com
          • grylonergan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2009
              I spoke yesterday with Gerry Leonidis whos runs the Type Design course
              at Reading University for the last 10 years. His pupils first use
              pencil and paper for 10 weeks then go on to Fontographer and before
              they go eventually to Fontlab. This is precisely because of Fogs easy
              to use interface.

              and his pupils --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, Fox Creek Printing
              <dyegang@...> wrote:

              > I've got FontLab--it's great, but Fontographer doesn't
              > really exist, right? So there won't be improvements to
              > that software--I thought that was the email's list of
              > things needed (like making OpenType).
              >
              > --- Michael Everson <everson@...> wrote:
              >
              > > On 14 Jan 2009, at 14:40, Fox Creek Printing wrote:
              > > > Fontographer is gone. FontLab ate it up.
              > > >
              > > Not at all true! FontLab bought it. And they've made
              > > an update
              > > available (for Mac anyway) and I use it all the
              > > time. I agree with
              > > Gary... Fontographer's drawing tools are excellent.
              > >
              > > I also use FontLab, to process the fonts, and
              > > sometimes for minor
              > > kinds of editing. But for major drawing,
              > > Fontographer's my mainstay.
              > >
              > > Michael Everson * http://www.evertype.com
              > >

              > p: 864-233-8646
              > www.foxcreekprinting.com

            • johnroshell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2009
                I work exactly the same way!

                I don't think I could draw in fontlab if my life depended on it. That program is a
                nightmare.

                Would be nice if the fontlab guys added opentype and anti-aliased screen rendering. Then
                it would be perfect!

                jg

                John Roshell
                The World's Greatest Comic Book Fonts!