hyphens

  • Robert_Schenk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2008
      Is anyone still here?

      After a very long time of not doing much with Fontographer, I recently
      was working on revising some fonts and I cannot get the hyphen to work
      correctly. It looks fine in the font while in Fontographer, but when I
      generate the font file, there is no hyphen when I use it in MS Word or
      in TextEdit. I am using Fontographer 4.7.3. Anyone ever have a similar
      problem?

      Also, what is the name of the program that lets FontLab read
      Fontographer files?

      R Schenk
    • Michael Everson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
        --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Schenk" <robert_schenk@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone still here?

        Yes!

        > After a very long time of not doing much with Fontographer, I recently
        > was working on revising some fonts and I cannot get the hyphen to work
        > correctly. It looks fine in the font while in Fontographer, but when I
        > generate the font file, there is no hyphen when I use it in MS Word or
        > in TextEdit. I am using Fontographer 4.7.3. Anyone ever have a similar
        > problem?

        I always draw in Fontographer, but I process my fonts in Fontlab. There are indeed some
        problems with hyphens that come up there because of ancient naming issues. There are
        ways of hacking this within Fontographer but I've been so busy I just do it in FL.

        > Also, what is the name of the program that lets FontLab read
        > Fontographer files?

        I don't know; I never bought it because I prefer to draw in Fog and so I generate from Fog
        and then work on the suitcases I generate.
      • Luc[as] de Groot
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
          > > Also, what is the name of the program that lets FontLab read
          > > Fontographer files?

          http://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/foglamp/foglamp-specifications/

          L.
        • Luc[as] de Groot
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
            Hi,

            I was annoyed by an extremely old bug yesterday ;-)
            Cyril! Are you here?
            When you paste wide artwork from e.g. FreeHand,
            (a process that is *much* more accurate in FOG than in FontLab)
            so wide that it extends in the gray area on the right,
            you can still type command-A and move everything to the left,
            but it is impossible to set the width of the character to something normal.
            Whatever you type in the set width dialog, it complains.
            It complains 12 years already. :-)
            One workaround is to first set a point before pasting.

            best, L
          • johnroshell
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
              --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, "Robert_Schenk" <robert_schenk@...> wrote:

              > Is anyone still here?
              >
              > After a very long time of not doing much with Fontographer, I recently
              > was working on revising some fonts and I cannot get the hyphen to work
              > correctly. It looks fine in the font while in Fontographer, but when I
              > generate the font file, there is no hyphen when I use it in MS Word or
              > in TextEdit. I am using Fontographer 4.7.3. Anyone ever have a similar
              > problem?

              This resulted from Microsoft "fixing" a bug in Word by renumbering the hyphen character.
              Nice of them, huh?

              The hyphen in Fontographer is Unicode #00AD, and to work in Word, you need to create a
              duplicate character #002D. Here's how:

              1. go to Element > Font Info (command f)

              2. set the number of characters to 257

              3. Copy and paste your hyphen character into the new character.

              4. Select the new character, and select Element > Selection Info (command i)

              5. Enter "$002D" in the Unicode index field

              That should do it! Let me know if not -- it's been a while since I did this, and I may have
              skipped a step.

              > Also, what is the name of the program that lets FontLab read
              > Fontographer files?

              It's not really necessary -- just export Windows Postscript, then open the .PFB in Fontlab.
              As long as the .PFM is in the same folder, it will import the kerning and everything.

              jg
            • Michael Everson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2008
                Don't you have to add a character name? I find when I open a Fog-generated file in FLStudio
                002D and 2010 are both highlighted red. The way to fix that is to open the 2010 character
                name, delete the 002D, then close the character name. The glyph will disappear from 002D,
                but you can just copy and paste it back. Reds gone.