What does *this* onscreen message mean?

  • patherto0
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2006
      I just installed Fontographer for Mac OSX 4.6. I installed the FOG updater.

      I opened an old FOG file and edited it. Then I tried to Save the file. This is the message I got:

      "Could not complete your request because you do not have the necessary access privileges.
      Code= -5000"

      I went ahead and Saved As the file, which worked to back up my FOG file.

      What on earth does "access privileges" have to do with saving a file?
    • a.johnych
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2006
        --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, "patherto0" <patherto@...> wrote:

        > What on earth does "access privileges" have to do with saving a file?

        This means you have not enough rights to edit the file. In Mac OS X each file belongs to
        some user in a multiuser environment. If you are the only user on your Mac you should
        repair permissions.
      • patherto0
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2006
          --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, "a.johnych" <apetrov@...> wrote:

          > --- In fontographer@yahoogroups.com, "patherto0" <patherto@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What on earth does "access privileges" have to do with saving a file?
          > >

          > This means you have not enough rights to edit the file. In Mac OS X each file belongs to
          > some user in a multiuser environment. If you are the only user on your Mac you should
          > repair permissions.

          I have a backup program (Carbon Copy Cloner) that repairs permissions each night before it
          backs up data. There is a number of users on this Mac but I am the administrator. This
          doesn't explain how I could Save As the file and do further edits on the new file without any
          problems.

          Don't ya just hate System X sometimes?