[folkspraak] There is/are/was/were

  • Hugo Cesar
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      David, can you tell me how would "THERE IS / THERE ARE / THERE WAS / THERE WERE / THERE WILL BE / ETC..." in your Folksprâk dialect...

      I want to know how to say this, because it is used as a loty of different forms in all germanic languages:
      In English: There is
      In German: Es gibt (It gives)
      In Swedish: Det finns (It is found)
      and so on...

      Please, help me!

      Thanks
      Hugo Cesar

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        I use "Dâr is...", "Dâr was...", "Dâr skall wese..." etc. The
        demonstrative pronoun "dâr" (there/that place) plus the verb "wese"
        (to be)
        Not the majority form, since there is not absolute majority in usages
        among the source languages, but the commonest form, since Danish and
        Norwegian also do it simliarly, with something like "Der er..."
        For example:

        Dâr wâre nên appels in de kôelkist = There were no apples in the fridge.
        Kelner, dâr is en fliug in mîn suppe! = Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!

        Although is occurs to me that such as phrase is quite redundant most
        of the time. We could just as easily say:

        Nên appels wâre in de kôelkist. = No apples were in the fridge
        Kelner, en fliug is in mîn suppe! = Waiter, a fly is in my soup!

        BTW, I think in Dutch, the construction is "Er zijn..."