Re: More Words

    Message 1 of 89 , Aug 30, 2006
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "stefichjo" <sts@...> wrote:

      > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@> wrote:
      > > Nope I meant equivalent to DE leid. Sorry my "dh" character came
      > out
      > > strange.
      > >
      > > Ich besuche leid meinen Zahnarzt.
      >
      > I see. Well, "leider" means "unfortunately", which is the opposite
      > of "fortunately" ("zum Glück" / "glücklicherweise"), whereas "gern"
      > means "voluntarly" / "with pleasure". So, "I don't like to ..."
      > wouldn't be something with "led" or similar, in my opinion. "ongern"
      > would be fine.

      I was thinking about what sort of word we can make for FS from
      cognates to EN loathe, loath, NL leed, lelijk, DE leid, leider, SV led
      Unfortunately these are a mixed bag of adjectives, adverbs and nouns
      and the meaning is highly varied (although related.). Will it be
      possible to distill these cognates into something that shares enough
      meaning to be a valid FS word.

      Also the verbs NL lijden, DE leiden, SV lida. These seem to be related
      to *laith by way of Ablaut.
      Message 89 of 89 , Sep 16, 2006
        BERNSTÊN
        n. = amber, fossilized pine tree resin
        NL barnsteen, DE Bernstein, SV bärnsten
        f. LG börn (burn cognate to BRENNE) + stên

        HARC
        n. = resin
        NL hars, DE Harz, SV harts
        f. OHG harz

        SIĐEN
        prep., adv. = since, from a particular time until now, from the moment that
        EN since, NL sinds, sedert, DE seit, seitdem, DA siden, NO siden, SV sedan
        f. PG *sith + *them (dative demonstrative pronoun)

        TEMLIK
        adv. = considerably, fairly, pretty, quite, rather, reasonably
        EN tamely, NL tamelijk, DE ziemlich, DA temmelig, NO temmelig, SV tämligen
        f. TEME+ -LIK

        EXPLODERE
        v. = explode, be blown up, blow to pieces, blow up, burst, detonate,
        shatter, snap
        EN explode, NL exploderen, DE explodieren, DA eksplodere, NO eksplodere,
        SV explodera, IL exploder
        f. L. explodere

        BERSTE
        v. = burst, break into, break open, crack, erupt, explode, shatter,
        smash into pieces, snap, split
        Possible class III strong verb. Pt = barst-, pp = bursten
        EN burst, bust, NL bersten/barsten barstte-, gebarsten, DE bersten,
        barst-/borst-, geborsten, DA briste, brast/bristede, bristet, NO briste,
        brast, brustet/bristet, SV brista, brast, brustit
        f. PG *brestan

        SPRINGE
        n. = spring, jump, leap
        Class III strong verb. pt = sprang-. pp = sprungen. *sprangian/*sprengan
        have partially or totally merged in some germanic languages. I have
        chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, sprang, sprung, NL springen, sprong-, gesprongen, DE
        springen, sprang-, gesprungen, DA springe, sprang, sprunget, NO springe,
        sprang, sprunget, SV springa, sprang-, sprungit
        f. PG *sprengan

        SPRENGE
        v. = blow up, burst, explode
        *sprangian/*spreingan have partially or totally merged in some germanic
        languages. I have chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, NL springen, DE springen, sprengen, DA springe, sprænge, NO
        springe, sprenge, SV springa, spränga, sprängas
        f. PG *sprangian (causative of *sprengan)

        EXPLOSION
        n. = explosion, act of exploding, bang, blast, boom, crack, detonation,
        discharge, outburst, pop, sudden explosion
        EN explosion, NL explosie, DE Explosion, DA eksplosion, NO eksplosjon,
        SV explosion, IL explosion
        f. L. explosionem

        KNALL
        n. = bang, boom, crack, detonation, explosion, pop
        NL knal, DE Knall, DA knald, NO knall, SV knall
        f. ? onomatopoeic?

        KNALLE
        v. = bang, boom, crack, pop
        NL knallen, DE knallen, DA knalde, NO knalle, SV knalla
        f. KNALL + -E

        ÛTFALL
        n. = sally
        only meaning that seems to be common in 3 or more branches.
        EN outfall, NL uitval, DE Ausfall, DA udfald, NO utfall, SV utfall
        f. ÛT + FALL

        FELLE
        v. = fell, chop down, cut down, overthrow
        EN fell, NL vellen, DE fällen, DA fælde, NO felle, SV fälla
        f. PG *fallijan (causative of *fallan)

        FALLE
        v. = 1. fall, be overthrown, descend, drop, sink, slump, take a
        nosedive, tumble 2. die, perish
        Class VII strong verb. pt = fiul. pp = fallen
        EN fall, fell, fallen, NL vallen, viel-, gevallen, DE fallen, fiel-,
        gefallen, DA falde, faldt, faldet, NO falle, falt, falt, SV falla, föll,
        fallit
        f. PG *fallan

        FALDE
        v. = fold, crease, pleat
        EN fold, NL vouwen, DE falten, DA folde, NO folde, SV fålla
        f. PG *faldhan

        FALD
        n. = fold, crease, pleat, tuck
        EN fold, NL vouw, DE Falte, DA fold, NO fold, SV fåll
        f. PG *faldhan

        STARR
        a.= stern, fixed, inflexible, rigid, set, stiff
        The EN word is related to the NL and DE words, only at an IE level, not
        Germanic
        EN stern, NL star, DE starr
        f. PIE base *ster-, *star- "be rigid"