Re: [folkspraak] Digest Number 230

  • eparsels
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2002
      In regard to the future, shall and will in English, comparable to sollen and
      wollen in German and skula and villa in Swedish, started their careers as
      modal auvilliaries, much like 'may', 'can', etc. Ancient Germans had no
      future tense per se, only a present and a past. All talk about the future
      used the conditional, such as "I will to do it tomorrow," or "I may (I have
      the might or power) to do it tomorrow," etc. It would have seemed like
      inviting bad luck to make statements about the future in definite terms,
      since the fates held the secrets of the future. Now, though, shall and will
      have, at least in English and the Scandinavian languages, lost their
      conditional force and have become mere expressions of futurity, while German
      has opted for the helping verb werden 'become' to express futurity, while
      keeping shall and will firmly in the camp of modal auxiliaries which express
      conditionality. I think that the German solution is probably the most
      consistent, since even in English, when you shift from future to present or
      past, will and shall change to would/would have and should/should have,
      confusingly regaining their subjunctive character. A separate verb, such as
      German werden, or unshifted werthen (sorry, no 'thorn' character on my
      e-mail font) seems more consistent.
      Erik
      From: William G Beazley <beazley@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:06:21 -0600
      From: William G Beazley <beazley@...>
      Subject: Shall vs Will

      Not sure if it has been covered yet.

      ik wille etten, etc. = "I shall eat"

      Causes some questions for me in the Grammar.

      This Grammar only seems to be a reflection of American English.

      In Formal English, German and Swedish I find this:

      English German Swedish
      shall soll ska
      will(desire) will vill

      So this ywis makes the above statement say, I expect, I will to eat (or
      I want to eat) not I shall eat.

      English:
      German:
      to will