Re: More Words: Landworden

    Message 1 of 89 , Aug 14, 2006
      == Latin -ia (singular feminine) ==
      familia -> familie
      materia -> materie

      == Greek -ia ==
      demokratia -> demokrati
      orthographia -> orthographi

      == Latin -ia (singular feminine, country name) ==
      italia -> italien
      francia -> francien
      arabia -> arabien

      == Latin -ia (neuter plural) ==
      genitalia -> genitalien

      == Germanic -i ==
      fiskeri

      == e. g. : difference between people noun and adjective ==
      indonese - indonesisk - indonesien
      chinese - chinesisk - chinesien (and china)
      albane - albanisk - albanien
      turke - turkisk - turkien
      brite - britisk - britien (and britanien)

      I'm against "-er". It sounds like "der Folkspraake-Institut" to me.

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, David Parke <parked@...> wrote:

      > Here is a question: What suffix do you think is best as the FS
      > equivalent to EN -ia? Most of the time this is equivalent to
      > (corresponds to) NL -ië, DE -ien, DA -ien, NO -ia or -ien and SV -
      ien
      > This normally also corresponds to Latin -ia.
      > It doesn't always neatly work, though, sometimes EN has "-y", as
      in EN
      > Italy or EN Hungary or Indies (plural of obsolete Indy). Sometimes
      > German has "-ei", as in Türkei and Slowakei. Sometime EN even has
      no
      > suffix, as in Spain vs DE Spanien. Sometimes the NL suffix is -je
      or
      > -ije as in Spanje or Bulgarije or Hongarije.
      > But broadly speaking, I think one FS suffix could serve as the
      > equivalent in place names for
      > EN -ia and -y
      > NL -ië and -je and -ije
      > DE -ien, and -ei
      > DA -ien
      > NO -ia
      > SV -ien
      > Italian, Spanish, Portuguese -ia
      > French -ie
      >
      > So what should the suffix be?
      > I would say the commonest sound would be [-I@)], most likely
      spelt "-ie"
      > or "-ia"
      > But you will notice that in my proposals for country names, that I
      am
      > currently using "-i". This is because it then agrees with a whole
      lot of
      > other Graeco-Romance words in my dialect the come from Latin "-ia"
      and I
      > currently spell with "-i". (Demokrati, ortografi, batteri). Maybe
      this
      > is an agreement, that I shouldn't really worry about
      >
      > Other than that, following a naturalistic approach seems to be
      yielding
      > words fairly easily, in most cases there is a clear majority form
      upon
      > which to base the FS word.
      > Here are two problem cases though:
      > CANADA or KANADA?
      > EN Canada, NL Canada, DE Kanada, DA Canada, NO Canada, SV Kanada,
      IL Canada

      Message 89 of 89 , Sep 16 5:48 PM
        BERNSTÊN
        n. = amber, fossilized pine tree resin
        NL barnsteen, DE Bernstein, SV bärnsten
        f. LG börn (burn cognate to BRENNE) + stên

        HARC
        n. = resin
        NL hars, DE Harz, SV harts
        f. OHG harz

        SIĐEN
        prep., adv. = since, from a particular time until now, from the moment that
        EN since, NL sinds, sedert, DE seit, seitdem, DA siden, NO siden, SV sedan
        f. PG *sith + *them (dative demonstrative pronoun)

        TEMLIK
        adv. = considerably, fairly, pretty, quite, rather, reasonably
        EN tamely, NL tamelijk, DE ziemlich, DA temmelig, NO temmelig, SV tämligen
        f. TEME+ -LIK

        EXPLODERE
        v. = explode, be blown up, blow to pieces, blow up, burst, detonate,
        shatter, snap
        EN explode, NL exploderen, DE explodieren, DA eksplodere, NO eksplodere,
        SV explodera, IL exploder
        f. L. explodere

        BERSTE
        v. = burst, break into, break open, crack, erupt, explode, shatter,
        smash into pieces, snap, split
        Possible class III strong verb. Pt = barst-, pp = bursten
        EN burst, bust, NL bersten/barsten barstte-, gebarsten, DE bersten,
        barst-/borst-, geborsten, DA briste, brast/bristede, bristet, NO briste,
        brast, brustet/bristet, SV brista, brast, brustit
        f. PG *brestan

        SPRINGE
        n. = spring, jump, leap
        Class III strong verb. pt = sprang-. pp = sprungen. *sprangian/*sprengan
        have partially or totally merged in some germanic languages. I have
        chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, sprang, sprung, NL springen, sprong-, gesprongen, DE
        springen, sprang-, gesprungen, DA springe, sprang, sprunget, NO springe,
        sprang, sprunget, SV springa, sprang-, sprungit
        f. PG *sprengan

        SPRENGE
        v. = blow up, burst, explode
        *sprangian/*spreingan have partially or totally merged in some germanic
        languages. I have chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, NL springen, DE springen, sprengen, DA springe, sprænge, NO
        springe, sprenge, SV springa, spränga, sprängas
        f. PG *sprangian (causative of *sprengan)

        EXPLOSION
        n. = explosion, act of exploding, bang, blast, boom, crack, detonation,
        discharge, outburst, pop, sudden explosion
        EN explosion, NL explosie, DE Explosion, DA eksplosion, NO eksplosjon,
        SV explosion, IL explosion
        f. L. explosionem

        KNALL
        n. = bang, boom, crack, detonation, explosion, pop
        NL knal, DE Knall, DA knald, NO knall, SV knall
        f. ? onomatopoeic?

        KNALLE
        v. = bang, boom, crack, pop
        NL knallen, DE knallen, DA knalde, NO knalle, SV knalla
        f. KNALL + -E

        ÛTFALL
        n. = sally
        only meaning that seems to be common in 3 or more branches.
        EN outfall, NL uitval, DE Ausfall, DA udfald, NO utfall, SV utfall
        f. ÛT + FALL

        FELLE
        v. = fell, chop down, cut down, overthrow
        EN fell, NL vellen, DE fällen, DA fælde, NO felle, SV fälla
        f. PG *fallijan (causative of *fallan)

        FALLE
        v. = 1. fall, be overthrown, descend, drop, sink, slump, take a
        nosedive, tumble 2. die, perish
        Class VII strong verb. pt = fiul. pp = fallen
        EN fall, fell, fallen, NL vallen, viel-, gevallen, DE fallen, fiel-,
        gefallen, DA falde, faldt, faldet, NO falle, falt, falt, SV falla, föll,
        fallit
        f. PG *fallan

        FALDE
        v. = fold, crease, pleat
        EN fold, NL vouwen, DE falten, DA folde, NO folde, SV fålla
        f. PG *faldhan

        FALD
        n. = fold, crease, pleat, tuck
        EN fold, NL vouw, DE Falte, DA fold, NO fold, SV fåll
        f. PG *faldhan

        STARR
        a.= stern, fixed, inflexible, rigid, set, stiff
        The EN word is related to the NL and DE words, only at an IE level, not
        Germanic
        EN stern, NL star, DE starr
        f. PIE base *ster-, *star- "be rigid"