Re: [folkspraak] Re: More Words

  • Evert Mouw
    Message 1 of 89 , Aug 7, 2006
      >>It has occurred to me that for an auxilary language we could have a
      >>totally logical and systematic set of words for people, countries,
      >>languages. For example it always could be
      >>
      >>XYZ = member of ethnic group XYZ. -ish person
      >>XYZ+land = country where XYZ-ish people live
      >>XYZ+isk = adjective pertaining to the XYZ ethnic group.
      >>XYZ+isk+sprâk = language of ethnic group XYZ
      >>
      >>But although logical this would frequently produce words that were
      >>not like the majority usage in the Germanic languages.
      >
      > It wouldn't always work:
      > What would you make of: Netherlands, Iceland, Greenland? What is the
      > name of the ethnic group in those cases?
      > Jan-Willem

      I love the idea! But JW is right, there are some ugly exceptions. But
      maybe we can modify the system a bit? Just a suggestion here to include
      the "land" suffix as much as possible.

      XYZ-ish people live in XYZ-land:
      XYZ+land = country [greenland]
      XYZ+land+er = member [greenlander]
      XYZ+land+ish = person [greenlandish]
      XYZ+land+isk = adjective [greenlandisk]
      XYZ+land+sprâk = language [greenlandspraak]

      And yes, that would make Frankland. I prefer Frankland above Frankrik if
      (and only if) we use this system or a likewise system of a logical set
      of words for peoples and countries.

      Evert
      Message 89 of 89 , Sep 16 5:48 PM
        BERNSTÊN
        n. = amber, fossilized pine tree resin
        NL barnsteen, DE Bernstein, SV bärnsten
        f. LG börn (burn cognate to BRENNE) + stên

        HARC
        n. = resin
        NL hars, DE Harz, SV harts
        f. OHG harz

        SIĐEN
        prep., adv. = since, from a particular time until now, from the moment that
        EN since, NL sinds, sedert, DE seit, seitdem, DA siden, NO siden, SV sedan
        f. PG *sith + *them (dative demonstrative pronoun)

        TEMLIK
        adv. = considerably, fairly, pretty, quite, rather, reasonably
        EN tamely, NL tamelijk, DE ziemlich, DA temmelig, NO temmelig, SV tämligen
        f. TEME+ -LIK

        EXPLODERE
        v. = explode, be blown up, blow to pieces, blow up, burst, detonate,
        shatter, snap
        EN explode, NL exploderen, DE explodieren, DA eksplodere, NO eksplodere,
        SV explodera, IL exploder
        f. L. explodere

        BERSTE
        v. = burst, break into, break open, crack, erupt, explode, shatter,
        smash into pieces, snap, split
        Possible class III strong verb. Pt = barst-, pp = bursten
        EN burst, bust, NL bersten/barsten barstte-, gebarsten, DE bersten,
        barst-/borst-, geborsten, DA briste, brast/bristede, bristet, NO briste,
        brast, brustet/bristet, SV brista, brast, brustit
        f. PG *brestan

        SPRINGE
        n. = spring, jump, leap
        Class III strong verb. pt = sprang-. pp = sprungen. *sprangian/*sprengan
        have partially or totally merged in some germanic languages. I have
        chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, sprang, sprung, NL springen, sprong-, gesprongen, DE
        springen, sprang-, gesprungen, DA springe, sprang, sprunget, NO springe,
        sprang, sprunget, SV springa, sprang-, sprungit
        f. PG *sprengan

        SPRENGE
        v. = blow up, burst, explode
        *sprangian/*spreingan have partially or totally merged in some germanic
        languages. I have chosen to keep them split.
        EN spring, NL springen, DE springen, sprengen, DA springe, sprænge, NO
        springe, sprenge, SV springa, spränga, sprängas
        f. PG *sprangian (causative of *sprengan)

        EXPLOSION
        n. = explosion, act of exploding, bang, blast, boom, crack, detonation,
        discharge, outburst, pop, sudden explosion
        EN explosion, NL explosie, DE Explosion, DA eksplosion, NO eksplosjon,
        SV explosion, IL explosion
        f. L. explosionem

        KNALL
        n. = bang, boom, crack, detonation, explosion, pop
        NL knal, DE Knall, DA knald, NO knall, SV knall
        f. ? onomatopoeic?

        KNALLE
        v. = bang, boom, crack, pop
        NL knallen, DE knallen, DA knalde, NO knalle, SV knalla
        f. KNALL + -E

        ÛTFALL
        n. = sally
        only meaning that seems to be common in 3 or more branches.
        EN outfall, NL uitval, DE Ausfall, DA udfald, NO utfall, SV utfall
        f. ÛT + FALL

        FELLE
        v. = fell, chop down, cut down, overthrow
        EN fell, NL vellen, DE fällen, DA fælde, NO felle, SV fälla
        f. PG *fallijan (causative of *fallan)

        FALLE
        v. = 1. fall, be overthrown, descend, drop, sink, slump, take a
        nosedive, tumble 2. die, perish
        Class VII strong verb. pt = fiul. pp = fallen
        EN fall, fell, fallen, NL vallen, viel-, gevallen, DE fallen, fiel-,
        gefallen, DA falde, faldt, faldet, NO falle, falt, falt, SV falla, föll,
        fallit
        f. PG *fallan

        FALDE
        v. = fold, crease, pleat
        EN fold, NL vouwen, DE falten, DA folde, NO folde, SV fålla
        f. PG *faldhan

        FALD
        n. = fold, crease, pleat, tuck
        EN fold, NL vouw, DE Falte, DA fold, NO fold, SV fåll
        f. PG *faldhan

        STARR
        a.= stern, fixed, inflexible, rigid, set, stiff
        The EN word is related to the NL and DE words, only at an IE level, not
        Germanic
        EN stern, NL star, DE starr
        f. PIE base *ster-, *star- "be rigid"