Wortschatz, wordskatt

  • Stephan Schneider
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006
      = Flag =

      I'll try and use the flag as you said.

      = Proto Germanic -> Fulkspræk -> Folksprak =

      == Wortschatz ==

      In the beginning I tried to conentrate on PG roots form my wordskatt / wortschatz. I was desperately looking for criteria in order to decide which form a FS word should take. A blent of Modern Germanic words just wouldn't do, so I felt, since the choice of how to represent a FS word would be too arbitrary in order to convince somebody that a FS word is authentic.

      (Just consider how "FS" could be written: Folksprak, Folkspraak, Folkspræk, Folksprok, Folkspæk without thinking about "Fulk-" and lots of diacritic signs.)

      == Phonology ==

      So my approach is to find a root source and derivation rules, and I got very far, so far. You can find the derivation rules here:

      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Grammatik/_Phonologie

      Here you can read how Fulkspræk words can be derived from Proto Germanic, but also from Latin and Western Germanic. And you will also find how to derive Folksprak words from Fulkspræk. The problem is that I still fear that the Folksprak representation is subject to change, whereas the Fulkspræk representation is quite stable. This is why the wordskatt is about PG / Fulkspræk and not about Folksprak in the first place. I want to avoid trouble.

      In order to get feeling about Fulkspræk vs. Folksprak, it might be sufficient to read some example text (both in Fulkspræk and Folksprak):

      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Beispiele

      == Fulkspræk "wirald" -> Folksprak "wørald" (regularly) ==

      For example, the Folksprak representation of PG -i- in the words "world", "week" and "church" changed recently in my Folksprak (from -y- to -ø-), but the Fulkspræk representation remains the same (letter -i- with double accent). This is an advantage.

      == PG "draugm" -> ... -> Folksprak "drom" and "drog" (irregularly) ==

      But there are a lot of cases (marked with ">!>" instead of ">>") where a Fulkspræk word has been derived irregularly from a PG word for the sake of Modern Germanic likeness. For example, from WG "draugm-" I even derived two different words from it: Folksprak "drog" and "drom" ("illusion" (DE Trug) and "dream"). There is no word "drogm" or "drogem" in FS (which would be the regular derivation, I guess).

      == PG / Fulkspræk "nkh" -> Folksprak "h" (regularly) ==

      On the other hand, PG / Fulkspræk "nkh", "ngg", "ngk", "ngkh" have seperate rules how to derive Folksprak from them, at the end of the phonology page:

      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Grammatik/_Phonologie#Sonstige

      Therefore in Folksprak there is "drinke", but not "dringke" (EN drink), there is "liht", but not "linght" (EN light, DE leicht), there is "lang" but not "langg" (EN long)...

      (And maybe I could add a "-gm-" rule only for WG "draugm"?)

      == Word preferences ==

      In the end the decision which word to take has not been made yet. The wordskatt still shows many examples of concurrent words, candidates for Folksprak, e. g.(Folksprak) "nahbuerskap" (cf. DE Nachbarschaft) vs. "nahbuerhed" (cf. EN neighborhood).

      And the other problem you have mentioned, is quite easy to resolve: if a PG root has an instance in only one modern Germanic language, then it should be discarded (for example "køpe" (EN keep)). But before I decide to discard a word I leave it in the word list and wait that somebody adds another instance, which I may not know yet, who knows?

      So, a chapter about which word to take for Folksprak would imply a better version of the current morphology page (which should explain the difference between "-hed" and "-skap", for example),

      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Wortschatz/_Morphologie

      and what the difference between "køpe" and "halde" should be (maybe "køpe" might be used in poetry?)(rare Germanic words vs. common Germanic word). And last but not least, the difference between "nation" (from LA) and "folk" (from PG) should be defined (guest words vs. Germanic words).

      This will be the next step to do, and this is why I needed first a wordskatt & phonology rules.

      Stephan