900 worden in Folksprak!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi all!

      The current versioon of the Wiki Folksprak dictionary has aproximately
      900 words.

      I tried to make it more easy to read, too.

      http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Folksprak/_Wortschatz

      By the way, does anybody have a flag picture in order to upload it to
      the Wikipedia articles?

      Bye,
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2006
        You can get the flag picture from the Folkspraak Yahoo files.
        Or you can save the picture from the Tidingkonien website.

        Your wortschatz is interesting for the purposes of the study of
        Proto-germanic. But I don't think words that have cognates in only one
        germanic languages (based for example on English "keep" or German
        "ohne"), are very good choices for Folksprak words -- given what FS is
        intended for. Word that have such a small representation would only be
        of use in cases where all the source languages had totally different
        words. In such cases, we might be forced to adopt something inspired by
        an English or German word, or something out of PG.

        Your wordskatt seems to give the form in "Fulkspræk", but not the form
        in "Folksprak" (ie the form that you would in fact use)

        BTW, in my opinion PG reconstructions are too archaic for my tastes.
        They seem to show PG at the point in time just after it became a
        distinct language from PIE. And at the point in time before Gothic
        branched off from PG. Modern academic opinion seems to be that Gothic
        branched off first and is on a seperate branch from all the living
        germanic languages (which are on the "Northwest Germanic branch). PG
        thus, doesn't represent changes that occured to the ancester of the
        living germlangs and therefore features that are common to all of the
        living languages. For example the PG proto-word for EN heel, NL hiel,
        Scandy hæl/häl is *hanhilô. All the modern languages lack a *n and the
        ancestral language to the modern languages had probably already lost the
        *n before it diverged into Old English, Old Norse, Old Saxon etc. Same
        goes for EN light, NL licht, DE leicht, Scandy let/lett/lätt. The PG
        proto-word is *linhtaz.
        So the PG reconstructions might be useful for something, but for the
        purposes of creating a germanic inter-language, it can be a problem. I
        think of more interest is the earliest common ancester of the living
        germanic languages: Proto-North-West Germanic.