Re: [folkspraak] Re: Plumber

  • Jan-Willem Benjamins
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
      Dutch has/had "roer". My Van Dale dictionary lists it as meaning "old
      fashioned gun", but most often as "vuurroer". I don't think many people
      here would immediately understand "roer" as meaning "tube". The problem
      is that the word for "rudder" is also "roer".

      Jan-Willem

      --- David Parke <parked@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm. Nothing like Rohr/rör/rør is present in English or Dutch.
      >
      > But what about using something akin to reed/ried/Ried?

    • tungol65
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
        > Hmmm. Nothing like Rohr/rör/rør is present in English or Dutch.
        >
        > But what about using something akin to reed/ried/Ried?

        Gothic had "raus" with an attested meaning of "reed", looks to be a
        cognate with the DE,SV,DN words, so i'm guessing there is a common PG
        root somewhere, with possible rhoticisation (I think that's how you
        spell it). True it's not found in EN or NL, but if its in DE,SV,DN it
        should be considered as a valid FS word. NL from what I can see also
        uses the word "buis" pl. "buizen", in this context, but I can't think
        of obvious cognates in any other Germ. langs.

      • tungol65
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
          --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Jan-Willem Benjamins
          <benjaminsjw@...> wrote:

          > Dutch has/had "roer". My Van Dale dictionary lists it as meaning "old
          > fashioned gun", but most often as "vuurroer". I don't think many
          people
          > here would immediately understand "roer" as meaning "tube". The
          problem
          > is that the word for "rudder" is also "roer".

          NL apparently has "roerdomp" meaning bittern (kind of bird that lives
          among reeds). That would suggest the word is connected somehow with
          reeds.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
            "Ried" is unknown to me. It appears to be known only in nothern
            Germany...
            Let`s have all of these words in Folksprak and make the most useful
            distinction between them, like "Rohr" for tube, "Riet" for
            mouthpiece of instruments (?) and "pip" for smoking instrument.
            That´s my proposal.

            Bye,
            Stephan