Re: [folkspraak] Re: Plumber

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
      Hmmm. Nothing like Rohr/rör/rør is present in English or Dutch.

      But what about using something akin to reed/ried/Ried?

      stefichjo wrote:

      >In German there is "Rohr", meaning "tube". Yes, we should consider
      >it.
      >
      >rorwerker
      >rorleger
      >rorarbeder
      >
      >Bye,
      >Stephan
      >
      >--- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "tungol65" <rdw.young@...> wrote:
      >

      >>--- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@> wrote:
      >>

      >>>Right the FS word "pîp" should probably mean tobacco pipe or
      >>>

      >>musical
      >>

      >>>instrument. And "lêding" has more than one meaning and doesn't
      >>>specifically mean pipe/tube.
      >>>
      >>>So that leaves "tub" as the FS word for pipe/tube. So the first
      >>>element should be "tub" [tu:b].
      >>>
      >>>For the second element, "smidd" would mean morelike someone who
      >>>creates the pipe, and "werker" probably has that implication too.
      >>>
      >>>I don't really like "mann" since this means we will need
      >>>

      >>a "tubfrau"
      >>

      >>>or "tubwîv" for female plumbers.
      >>>
      >>>So "leger", "setter", "insteller, or "installatör" for the second
      >>>part. Not sure which I prefer...
      >>>

      >>I think in this case "ror" or similar should also be considered as

      >>valid FS word DE Röhre, SV rör, DN rør. "tub" IMHO should mean a
      >>flexible item and "ror" a rigid item.

      >Browse the draft word lists!
      >http://www.onelist.com/files/folkspraak/
      >http://www.langmaker.com/folkspraak/volcab.html
      >
      >Browse Folkspraak-related links!
      >http://www.onelist.com/links/folkspraak/
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jan-Willem Benjamins
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
        Dutch has/had "roer". My Van Dale dictionary lists it as meaning "old
        fashioned gun", but most often as "vuurroer". I don't think many people
        here would immediately understand "roer" as meaning "tube". The problem
        is that the word for "rudder" is also "roer".

        Jan-Willem

        --- David Parke <parked@...> wrote:

        > Hmmm. Nothing like Rohr/rör/rør is present in English or Dutch.
        >
        > But what about using something akin to reed/ried/Ried?

      • tungol65
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
          > Hmmm. Nothing like Rohr/rör/rør is present in English or Dutch.
          >
          > But what about using something akin to reed/ried/Ried?

          Gothic had "raus" with an attested meaning of "reed", looks to be a
          cognate with the DE,SV,DN words, so i'm guessing there is a common PG
          root somewhere, with possible rhoticisation (I think that's how you
          spell it). True it's not found in EN or NL, but if its in DE,SV,DN it
          should be considered as a valid FS word. NL from what I can see also
          uses the word "buis" pl. "buizen", in this context, but I can't think
          of obvious cognates in any other Germ. langs.

        • tungol65
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
            --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Jan-Willem Benjamins
            <benjaminsjw@...> wrote:

            > Dutch has/had "roer". My Van Dale dictionary lists it as meaning "old
            > fashioned gun", but most often as "vuurroer". I don't think many
            people
            > here would immediately understand "roer" as meaning "tube". The
            problem
            > is that the word for "rudder" is also "roer".

            NL apparently has "roerdomp" meaning bittern (kind of bird that lives
            among reeds). That would suggest the word is connected somehow with
            reeds.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2006
              "Ried" is unknown to me. It appears to be known only in nothern
              Germany...
              Let`s have all of these words in Folksprak and make the most useful
              distinction between them, like "Rohr" for tube, "Riet" for
              mouthpiece of instruments (?) and "pip" for smoking instrument.
              That´s my proposal.

              Bye,
              Stephan